Convert Roman tub to permanent shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Irvin88

Reaction score
I have a Kohler Roman tub that needs to be converted to a shower. I took off the faucet and I need an adapter so I can connect the shower head. My question is how do I know what size adapter to get?

Here are two pictures to show what I'm trying to explain.

20150705_155617.jpg

20150705_155639.jpg

Edit: There is no threading on the faucet itself, or I would've used one of these adapters

What I am looking for is something like this
http://www.lasco.net/hose-adapters-...hd-x-mht-x-std-m-aer-p-7829.html#.VZuAt_lVhBc
but I believe that is the same as is in the video and I do not know if the thread will match?

Last edited by a moderator:

Irvin88

Reaction score
It is a "proprietary" thread and NOTHING will connect to it, because they never intended for it to be converted to a shower.
Thank you for the reply.

Will any slip-on faucet connect to the pipe or is that proprietary as well? My thinking is I could get a faucet that has a threaded end and connect the shower head that way; as shown in the youtube in my initial post.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The shank is specific to that series of spouts, so you would have to find one from THAT manufacturer, that fits THAT shank, and has a standard sized aerator. THere is one other possibility. IF that internal thread is a standard pipe thread, (which would have been used to seal the faucet for testing purposes), then a standard pipe nipple may connect from it to your hose. your hose should have a 1/2" pipe thread, NOT a hose thread.

Irvin88

Reaction score
The shank is specific to that series of spouts, so you would have to find one from THAT manufacturer, that fits THAT shank, and has a standard sized aerator. THere is one other possibility. IF that internal thread is a standard pipe thread, (which would have been used to seal the faucet for testing purposes), then a standard pipe nipple may connect from it to your hose. your hose should have a 1/2" pipe thread, NOT a hose thread.
I really appreciate all your help! So from the sound of it something like this may fit is what you're saying?
Banjo NIP050-SH Polypropylene Pipe Fitting, Short Nipple, Schedule 80, 1/2" NPT Male, 1-3/4" Length

Last edited by a moderator:

Irvin88

Reaction score
I resolved this with the help of the feedback I received here back in July but I just wanted to follow up in case other people stumble upon this thread. I don't remember the exact measurements but I believe I basically ended up with a 1/2" to 1/4" pipe threaded nipple/contraption to resolve this.

Attachments

• 20150712_173856.jpg
    20150712_173856.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 659

sjt023

Reaction score
I've come back to this forum so many times while trying to figure out a way to add a handheld shower head to our Kohler roman bath. After months of starting and giving up, i finally found the piece that works and wanted to give a quick update on what worked for us. This adapter was purchased at Home Depot for under $10.

-Everbuilt 1/2 in OD Compression x 1/2 in MIP Brass Adapter Fitting
*You won't need the brass insert or nut included in this package

The 1/2 in OD fits perfectly in the existing Kohler pipe fitting and the 1/2 in MIP allows you to attach a standard handheld shower head.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 11.24.37 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 11.24.37 PM.png
    198.1 KB · Views: 59
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks