No soft water

Users who are viewing this thread

Herman Veenendaal

Reaction score
I have a Sears softener, the type shown here: http://www.softenerparts.com/North_Star_Sears_GE_Smartwater_Whirlpool_s/1.htm

Recently it has stopped producing soft water, although it goes through its cycle. It isn't using the normal amount of salt. I checked for a salt bridge and there was none.

I have checked much of the unit and noticed that the float assembly may be the problem. Once it goes through a cycle, the float stem gets stuck at the bottom of the brine valve. It takes considerable force to lift it, more than would be provided by the float rising with the fill cycle. I replaced the large O ring inside and applied a bit of plumber's grease but the problem recurs. In viewing the animations on the Kenmore water site, it appears the float stem should rise easily. I may need to order a replacement but am reluctant to buy the entire float stem assembly if it isn't necessary.

I have ordered the seal kit just in case there is a problem in there but until it arrives, can anyone explain the float stem problem?

Thank you,

Herman

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
LOL, not a lot of love for that unit on this website.

My opinion, don't waste money trying to keep that unit running, upgrade...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks