Up against the wall you Mansfield mutha.....

Users who are viewing this thread

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Customer had a few mystery toilet leaks today. All Mansfield toilets in the house, two leaking, two hard to flush, and a couple of hold the handle downers. Lots of deterioration on the neoprene washers everywhere, plus other issues.

I came back to the job with a basket full of tank bolts and washers, toilet supply tubes, and the little red ring thingy that the flush tower sits on.

Most everything went well, but I did have problems with persistent leaks on two of the toilets. Water was leaking past the new toilet bolts in the tank, and I had quite some difficulty stopping that. I did notice that on the two problem toilets the tank was jammed against the wall. I remembered running into that issue last year on a toilet leak that I had to revisit a couple of times. It was a Mansfield also, (three-bolt).

I know that on the three bolt toilets, you have to take care to tighten the bolts equally to prevent leakage. I'm leaning toward blaming the leaks on the fact that the back bolt doesn't set equally with the front two bolts because the tank is jammed to the wall. The nut gets tight, but the rubber isn't getting enough squeeze.

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
I had this problem a few days ago on my new 1959 Kohler Wellworth. I got a genuine Kohler tank to bowl triangle gasket, and once I got everything put back together and flush it, water comes gushing out from under the tank. So I get the toilet out and take the tank off and it all looks normal. I put the tank back on and the problem is gone. I guess I didn't tighten it enough.

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm leaning toward blaming the leaks on the fact that the back bolt doesn't set equally with the front two bolts because the tank is jammed to the wall. The nut gets tight, but the rubber isn't getting enough squeeze.
Sounds like a good explanation to me.

If that is the case, and you wanted to pursue it, you might be able to bring the base out from the wall (cheat) a small amount maybe?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks