Well PSI issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Random Joe

Reaction score
Hey there we're having issues with our well intended for watering our lawn, which is formally a family members that passed away. Things haven't been maintained + the equipment hasn't been used for 4 years (this is our first time using it) and the water pressure coming out of the hose is low.

Overview:

When we turn on the circuit breaker we can hear the water pumping inside the tank and it eventually fills up after ~1-2 hours. The issue is after the tank is full and we turn on the hose the water pressure coming out is low and gradually becomes lower as the tank empties, which leaves me with many questions:

(1) Should the pump be keeping the tank full as I'm using the hose and watering.
(2) What is the electrical requirements for my well pump (see attached pictures)? Can it be plugged into a standard electrical outlet (120V)?
(3) What should our PSI be reading? The meter only reads as high as 40 and it goes down as we use it. We even tried removing the cover of the pump regulator and turned the larger screw several times to increase the pressure.

Photos of the Well Pump, Circuit Breaker, since there is far too many:

franklin-pump-01.jpg

Sorry if anything is poorly worded or not descriptive enough. We know nothing about wells. Thanks!

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I worked for A&W about 15 yrs ago, the original company has been out of business for 10 years or so and the number was bought buy another guy.....

It shouldn't take hours to fill that tank, so either the pump is totally worn out, there is a leak someplace or the well yield is next to nothing. The pressure should come up to 55-60 psi with no problem. That type of system will require annual service to keep it operating at max efficiency.

You can call Ace Well & Pump, ask for John Davis or call Paul at Paul's Water Works in Smithfield for good, honest, reliable service.

Random Joe

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to reply. One last question my father changed the power source so it's wired via a 120V plug running to his house so we could test it. Should that be enough power or maybe that's the reason for the low PSI? If not would a generator be sufficient to test it (if yes what voltage would be needed?)

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's hard to read the tag on the control box, but it looks to me like it says 230 volts. Running it on 115 volts will keep the pump from running at full speed and will overheat the unit.

Rewire it for 230

Random Joe

Reaction score

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to reply. One last question my father changed the power source so it's wired via a 120V plug running to his house so we could test it. Should that be enough power or maybe that's the reason for the low PSI? If not would a generator be sufficient to test it (if yes what voltage would be needed?)

Seems clearly to be a 3 wire, 240 volt pump. I have to wonder how it could start at all on 120 volts.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
15 amps. Wire it to the pressure switch.

Just because there's a control box doesn't mean it's still a 3 wire. Many of those boxes get jumped out for 2 wire units.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks