Drywall 3/8" below 1/2"?

Users who are viewing this thread

spartan91

Reaction score
I recently had some water in my half-basement and cut out the bottom 2 to 3 feet of drywall - depending on how the pieces were hung. When getting the green board I mistakenly picked up 3/8" instead of the 1/2" that I was looking for. All together there are about 24 linear feet I will be replacing. 1/2 of that is on a wall nobody will really see. Most of the remaining is in the small bathroom (3 of 4 walls).

My question is can I continue hanging the drywall and have the person I hire to mud it make it look good? I have only hung one piece (the most difficult as far as cutouts etc.) and am done for the night anyway. I am hoping I can just hang it. The walls are on the perimeter of the laundry room and bathroom so I doubt there are any code issues regarding mandatory thickness to deal with.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A good plasterer or someone who does a skim coat on blueboard could do what you want, but you may find that the cost of having someone do that is far more than just picking up some 1/2" stuff and replacing what you've already done. You can use what's up there as a template for the new piece, so it should go much quicker.

Rburt5

Reaction score
I made the exact same mistake in my bathroom remodel. My wall space is much less than yours, though. I'm very much an amateur and was able to blend it in after a few coats. Now you wouldn't even know. That being said, I only had about 12 linear feet of seams to blend. Take your time and you could do it, though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks