Watts water heater expansion tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Geo422

Reaction score
I just installed an Watts 4 1/2 gallon expansion on my water heater my question is,, The water pressure is 80psi at the outdoor spigot and the same at a sink in the basement I increase the pressure in the expansion to 77psi .Is this correct?
Water heater is 50 gallons propane gas.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I believe you should have a pressure regulator valve and reduce your pressure. Max PSI is 80 PSI so you have a lot more than you need, and you very likely will have times when the pressure spikes higher than 80 psi. My PRV is set at 50 psi. and that is plenty but a little more would be acceptable. The expansion tank pressure should match the PRV setting.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you still read 80 PSI if you trickle a little water from a different faucet while reading the pressure gauge?

Dang-- so close to acceptable. Maybe your gauge reads high? Wishful thinking.

Note the precharge air pressure on the expansion tank should be set when the water pressure is zero.

Geo422

Reaction score
I let some water run and the pressure drop to 77 psi. I also put a watts water pressure gauge on for 24 hours and my highest is 80 psi.
I have a PRV on my water line and a backflow valve . The PRV was install as soon as water pipe came into the house then the back flow valve after that . Water works here says that the PRV should be install after back flow. This is from the water works web site .. (
*Pressure must be reduced to less than 80 psi per Ohio Plumbing Code by using a pressure reducing valve (PRV). The valve must be installed inside the dwelling after the main shut-off and backflow prevent ..)does the location of these valves really make a differance?

Reach4

Reaction score
So you already have a PRV. You should adjust that PRV down to maybe 60 PSI with the water tricklin. If you do that, I would set the air precharge on the expansion tank between 60 and maybe 65. Set the air pressure while the water pressure is zero.

I don't think it would matter significantly if the checkvalve was before or after the PRV. I am not a plumber.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
SOme PRV designs have an internal pressure relief...that won't work if there's a check valve after it. There may be other good reasons why they want them in the other order, too...I just do not know.

The expansion tank should be on the cold supply side, on the WH side of any shutoff to ensure it is always available to absorb the expanding water (i.e., no valves between it and the WH).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks