Air Gap and Air Admittance Valve (AAV)

Users who are viewing this thread

DanMcD

Reaction score
My Maytag dishwasher says I may need to install an Air Gap device. Since I plan to use an Air Admittance Valve for the sink (with a garbage disposal), is the AAV the same thing as having an Air Gap device....or do I need both?

Reach4

Reaction score
Not the same. You need both if you are to follow the rules if that is the rule where you are. The purpose of the rules is to prevent drain water from being siphoned into your dishwasher. And then there is a worry by some that the drain water might somehow get into your potable water supply.

sink_dw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The air gap is always legal and code approved. There is another way to prevent siphoning that many of us use that is code approved in many places. That is the "high loop" method. That simple required the drain hose is looped above the top of the washer. Usual install is to attach the hose to the underside of the counter top taking care to assure there will be no kinking of the hose. The advantage of the high loop is that there is no fitting on top of the counter. Check you local codes before using the high loop.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
sink_dw.jpg

I've seen some cases where the dishwasher between loads was filling with brown smelly water from the kitchen sink. It was kind of disgusting.
And then the woman was washing her dishes with that water. :(

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks