New P Trap leaking above Trap

Users who are viewing this thread

JMD

Reaction score
Hello,

I am installing a new bathroom vanity and sink. My sink has a 1 1/4 drain, however my outlet at the wall is 1 1/2. The configuration I have right now (all slip joint connections) is the 1 1/4 sink drain coming down to a 1 1/4 extension coupling (threaded one end other end is regular pipe). This connects to my 1 1/2 p trap which connects to the 1 1/2 outlet. To reduce at the p trap I used the 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 reducing washer that comes with the p trap. Now for my problem. When I run the sink there are no leaks and everything seems fine. However about 5 minutes later I notice that water seems to be seeping out at the reduction washer and the slip joint connecting the sink to the 1 1/4 extension coupling(which has the wedge shaped washer). The reduction washer is slightly above where the trap water level should be, and the other slip joint is a good 6 inches above that. I am not sure what is causing this back pressure, I would assume that the bigger diameter outlet would theoretically have a lower pressure and would slightly draw the water more that way. Any thoughts?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The water is coming from above that slip joint connection.
The threads where the drain passes through the bowl is allowing water to find it's way down.
Drop the large nut and rubber washer down, and either push plumbers putty into those threads, or pipe dope.
It's not the p-trap.

lav_drain_plastic.jpg

Last edited:

JMD

Reaction score
The water is coming from above that slip joint connection.
The threads where the drain passes through the bowl is allowing water to find it's way down.
Drop the large nut and rubber washer down, and either push plumbers putty into those threads, or pipe dope.
It's not the p-trap.

So you think that its a slow leak from the drain/sink connection? I have been watching and checking all the connections while the sink runs and for about 5 minutes after I stop the sink. Everything seems to be bone dry above the 1 1/4 extension piece. Also I only notice the water to start to appear about 5 minutes after I turn the sink off. If the connection between the drain and bowl were the issue wouldn't this happen while the sink was running? Regardless, putting some plumbers putty there would be a good check, thank you for the advice.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Pull the stopper and fill higher than the overflow. When you have water going down the overflow, open the drain, drain it, and then check below.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks