Tub Faucet Stems Too Short - Help!

Users who are viewing this thread

CJCJ

Reaction score
After finding a leak from my 1960's era shower and tub setup, I replaced the faucets and diverter. I made it through the disassembly, reassembly, soldering, drywall patching, etc. and was ready to screw the escutcheons and handles on...but they don't reach. The old pipe had much longer threads and the handles were quite short, so they reached through the wall. The new pipe (already in place in the wall) has shorter threads, and the handles are longer. The stems themselves barely reach through the wall. Is there some sort of adapter I can use? I can't pull the pipes in any closer as they're mounted directly on top of a brace and a stud (thanks, builders!). I'm at a loss and would like to stop using a wrench to turn on my shower!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Some companies make extensions, but many do not, so we would have to know the make and model, and also how short they are, because the extensions may not come out long enough to help you. Usually, you do whatever is necessary to make the faucet fit the wall, not the other way around like you are doing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks