Sediment in all fixtures

Users who are viewing this thread

jjjukebox

Reaction score
I recently had a natural gas line run to my house right next to the water line. I think the vibration from running the gas pipe shook a bunch of sediment loose from the water line because just after the install my water was brown and the toilet fills/faucets were clogged with sediment and had to be cleaned out.

I'm still dealing with it a week later and the faucet's are obviously easy to clear the screens but the toilet fills are more of a pain. I've also noticed that the shower knobs are all harder to turn or shut off completely.

Is this what I should expect to do for a while until it's all cleared? Any suggestions to make it easier?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You mentioned "brown water", so I assume you have galvanized pipes. If that's the case, start planning on a re-pipe to copper or others.
Sure you can clean and clean and clean for as long as it takes, but old galvanized pipes got to go.

What water do you use for drinking and cooking?

jjjukebox

Reaction score
Yep, house is a 1956 so there is a fair amount of galvanized pipes still in place. Some have been switched out but not all.

The brown water color cleared after running cold water in the tub for a while. So, I would hope there's no danger to drinking or cooking now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks