WS Location / Plumbing advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Sigo

Reaction score
All,

I just purchased a Fleck 5600SXT WS and am debating on the best location to install it. It will be going in my basement. Here's a rough sketch (not to scale) of my basement layout with two proposed locations:
z45NNnFoW2c3cg-ah7zIpdSNs2pRAPz2Xx0HWxNPnqY=w960-h720-no

Here's a picture of the water main (also attached):
M2BBjVd5AIGQvDWsE7KW8G3vzAXkp5RbsIhLSnwd_98=w535-h951-no

Here is a picture of proposed location #1 (also attached): Please ignore the water - we've got that sorted out.
q9IJwQAf7Nh7vX3CaS81Wfj0rnHndsxqbRS1ExYx160=w1691-h951-no

I'm thinking it would be best to install the WS here as it is a much shorter run to the water main. Can I drain it to the floor drain where the house humidifier drains or would it be best to run a drain line all the way around to the sewage grinder pump?

Would appreciate your kind advice.

Attachments

• BasementLayout.jpg
    BasementLayout.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 284
  • 20150520_062349 (1).jpg
    20150520_062349 (1).jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 291
  • 20150527_062811.jpg
    20150527_062811.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 295

Reach4

Reaction score
Either location should work fine. In the absence of other locations, #1 seems better for just the softener. It minimizes piping probably. While you usually have the brine tank right next to the resin tank, those can be separated if you like.

Note that outside hose bibs that you will be using for watering/irrigation should not use softened water. If you have the luxury, you could have a softened spigot for washing the car if you do that much. Then you would one or more others for watering plants.

Regarding the drain during regeneration, the softener will be putting maybe 3 GPM through the drain. Humidifiers put out water slowly. So depending on how that drain works, it may be OK. Certainly there are no solids to deal with. The drain hose/pipe requirements are not very stringent. You can go up a ways, so if a a higher drain were good, you could do that. You can go 20 ft with 1/2 inch pipe or tubing, and should go to 3/4 beyond that. That is probably overly cautious, but it is what the 5600SXT manual says.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Don't overlook that you not only need a drain for the regeneration, but you also need a drain for the overflow on the brine tank.

I would be leery of using a floor drain until it has been proven to be connected to the building drain. If the building drain is indeed under the basement floor, there are few good reasons to have ever installed a pump and basin system for the basement fixtures.

Sigo

Reaction score
Don't overlook that you not only need a drain for the regeneration, but you also need a drain for the overflow on the brine tank.

I would be leery of using a floor drain until it has been proven to be connected to the building drain. If the building drain is indeed under the basement floor, there are few good reasons to have ever installed a pump and basin system for the basement fixtures.

Just to clarify, the floor drain is proven to be connected to the building drain. The building drain is NOT under the basement floor. The building drain is about 7 feet up from the basement floor going to a septic tank.

Sigo

Reaction score
Now that I've settled on a location, my next question involves the plumbing runs. Please look at this diagram of my proposed run to and from the WS. I think this makes sense, but I'm not sure how to deal with the spigot supply lines. I would like to have one soft water spigot for car washing, etc, so would probably keep the one on the left side as soft water. I would still need to have the others be untreated water. Would I just have to run new pipe to those from the main line before it goes to the WS? The issue is that the lines to the spigots now are Td into the rest of the house plumbing. Any constructive comments are appreciated. Thanks.
X4wPDtcLVR7FQOFaD-1a0DSHWV4mfKKxNooT0KHsBcU=w960-h720-no

Attachments

• BasementLayout.jpg
    BasementLayout.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
At first glance, it appears that the simplest location for the WS is directly beside the water main as not much plumbing alteration would be required. Not knowing your basement setup, perhaps that is not a suitable location for the WS in which case, the area indicated maybe preferable since the furnace and water heater are already located there.

Your diagram suggests that you may have plumbing fixtures being fed from both the left and right of the 'T', not just the 'spigot' to the left of the 'T'. If so, it appears that the WS supply and return you indicated, will be your easiest option.

If no other plumbing connections actually occur to the left of the 'T' other than the 'spigot' shown, assuming the plumbing diameter remains large to the WH, you could consider tying into the existing plumbing feed nearer to the WH since that plumbing is already located fairly close to the proposed WS location.

If you proceed with the connections you proposed, you will then need to run an additional feeds to all locations you want unconditioned water. Alternatively, you could bypass the softener while using the existing outside spigots for irrigation, but that is usually not convenient.

If you connect the WS close to the WH, the spigot to the left of the 'T' would then remain un-softened.

Last edited:

Sigo

Reaction score
At first glance, it appears that the simplest location for the WS is directly beside the water main as not much plumbing alteration would be required. Not knowing your basement setup, perhaps that is not a suitable location for the WS in which case, the area indicated maybe preferable since the furnace and water heater are already located there.

The location next to the main isn't suitable as that will end up being a bedroom.

Your diagram suggests that you may have plumbing fixtures being fed from both the left and right of the 'T', not just the 'spigot' to the left of the 'T'. If so, it appears that the WS supply and return you indicated, will be your easiest option.

Yes. I have multiple fixtures being fed from both the left and right side of the T.

I appreciate your thoughts on this.

justaHO

Reaction score
I just went through this part of the install so I'll comment. If the basis of your decision on placement is solely hinging on a drain, look for cleanouts closer to your water service POE. Looks like you are running PEX so cost isn't a factor with your current proposed location but it does appear that you are exiting the foundation and re-entering with the supply & return?? I'm sure that isn't the case...

Bannerman is correct about spigots and unfortunately I have to settle for remembering to bypass-out the softener when I wash a car. Such is life...

Reach4

Reaction score
I would think soft water would be great for car washing if you bucket wash and don't need an excessive amount of rinse water. Search for "two-bucket wash method".

Last edited:

justaHO

Reaction score
^While true, I prefer not to. If it saves me one extra regen a month to bypass, I will force myself to remember.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
How do you intend to plumb the brine tank overflow if the building drain is 7 feet above the basement floor? It will need to be piped to a pumped basin. The supply piping can be routed anywhere is needs to go. The drains are not so easy.

justaHO

Reaction score
How do you intend to plumb the brine tank overflow if the building drain is 7 feet above the basement floor? It will need to be piped to a pumped basin. The supply piping can be routed anywhere is needs to go. The drains are not so easy.
LOL, it's entirely up to the circumstances and the HO's desires. IMO, a floor drain is the last resort. Like I said, it appears as though PEX is being used as the trunk line so very cheap to run a distance and back as per drawing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks