Toilet won't flush

Users who are viewing this thread

Leslie Sukhram

Reaction score
When our downstairs toilet is flushed the bowl fills up completely with water then slowly drains. We've tried a 25 foot snake and drano and plunging
Now the sinks in the kitchen are draining slowly and the upstairs toilet is making glug glug noises. The showers, bathroom sinks, washing machine, and dishwasher are draining fine. We really can't afford a plumber. Please help.

Reach4

Reaction score
You would have to follow the plumbing path to see if a single clog could explain the problem drains and yet not be blocking the shower. Are the showers all upstairs? If the downstairs shower is not backing up, that would be useful in figuring out where your plumbing is clogged. There could be 2 clogs-- one at the kitchen sink, and one somewhere else.

You could pull the toilet to give much bigger access to diagnose and clean. Clean the line, if that is what the problem is, with a much bigger snake. Consider getting a better-flushing toilet while you are at it, but the fact that you have problems elsewhere would tend to indicate that the toilet is not a primary problem.

I suspect that somebody who specializes in drain cleaning will be effective for you. I would prefer a small or one-man shop rather than a big outfit or a franchise. It will cost money, but it would be money well spent I think. You could rent a big cutter machine. But you could also injure your self in the process.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With all of that happening, it's a main line back up.
There is not much a homeowner can do with that. It's time to call someone that has snaking equipment.

Reach4

Reaction score
With all of that happening, it's a main line back up.
Would't that lead to shower backup, since the shower drain is lower than some of the things that are not draining properly? Or maybe main line includes any line that services multiple fixtures.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks