Capacitor or worse!

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumaman15

Reaction score
Hi all
Got a Dynaflo transfer pump 0.4kw ,Motor type 354.
Older model that's been going well until I upgraded to a larger 6kw Generator from a 2.8kw one.
Switched on pump and nothing, no sound, no water!
Took the cover off and noticed the end of the Capacitor where the wires are attached has lifted on the angle away from the body approx 2 to 3mm. Could the larger Geny be the reason why the pump won't go?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
"Could the larger Geny be the reason why the pump won't go?"

Not unless it is wired wrong, or the voltage is wrong.

Good Luck on your project.

Reach4

Reaction score
Something like this?
davey-dynaflo.jpg
I am not familiar with the pumps, but I expect the capacitor is a start capacitor. Those can fail, especially if they are electrolytic. The failure can be age-related, but I can imagine that a little more power could have driven a deteriorating capacitor over the edge. I am not saying it is an electrolyic capacitor, but if it is, it was going to fail with time anyway.

I would replace the capacitor presuming you can locate one that fits and has the proper ratings. Maybe check with http://daveyusa.com/daveyusa/reminder.htn?id=1221241852259&view=techSupport

Plumaman15

Reaction score
Hi reach4,
Yea m8, something similar to that, no pressure switch or ACU (auto control unit) attached.
Thank you for yr help and suggestions, I shall follow up asap!

Plumaman15

Reaction score
"Could the larger Geny be the reason why the pump won't go?"

Not unless it is wired wrong, or the voltage is wrong.

Good Luck on your project.
Thanks for input DonL, it's a brand new Geny, however the pump is a early model , I'm sure the voltage is fine, il replace Capacitor an see how it goes.

DonL

Reaction score
I would get a higher Voltage cap if I could.

The voltage on a lot of those is marginal, That is one reason they go bad.

And do not confuse a Start cap with a Run cap, They are not the same, The duty cycle is different.

Good Luck.

Plumaman15

Reaction score
Ok DL, my new 6kw Geny was not the cause of the pumps collapse and we believe the problem stemmed from my old Geny whose voltage output was fluctuating. A retailer I spoke to said that was the likely cause of the problem.
I've located a new Cap and will give this a go. Thanks again for yr help
Cheers

DonL

Reaction score
A 3 K Gen may not really be enough to get a Motor started without Motor Bog and voltage drop. Your new Gen should cure that problem.

Cast Iron Flywheels work good, Even on small motors, Because they have weight to keep the crank turning, but most newer ones are aluminum.

You may want to check and make sure your Motor Start switch is not Stuck, and the contacts are clean/good. I think your motor switch is centrifugal. If the switch is not working, It could pop a new cap.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Plumaman15

Reaction score
If it does crap out il chuck it BL. Reason being it will be difficult to get into the other half of the pump where I assume the starter and contacts are, so I'm hoping that the problem is that Cap. Time will tell, not a genius in this field, I'm only persevering with this coz it's been a great little pump,served me well and will be a backup in case of problems with the new one.
Cheers

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks