Help Me Determine what/who's Correct

Users who are viewing this thread

Stevemac00

Reaction score
I currently have a wall hung toilet with the outlet attached directly to 3" copper stack.

I'd like to move it horizontally and use a Geberit Wall Carrier with a horizontal tailpiece and connect to the stack with a sanitary tee. That part doesn't cause any issues. (original thread here https://terrylove.com/forums/index....and-duravit-toilet-install.60631/#post-452399)

Now, I'd also like to add a wall hung bidet on this same horizontal circuit. It would connect between the toilet and stack with a horizontal wye. The bidet would be vented separately into a 2" vent as shown. The wye would be a 3" wye with a 2" inlet. The bidet has a 1-1/4" trap and tailpiece.

I've attempted to diagram the system and all horizontal runs are sloped 2% (though not shown).
Plumbing Diagram.jpg

The inspector has visited the site and given verbal approval of my plans but a Master Plumber has expressed concern about not having another vent between the toilet and stack (as I understand it). He states:

"""
There are two floor outlet fixtures, so they need to be circuit vented in order to keep them in the same horizontal plane, wet venting is not an option. A circuit vent requires the vent portion of the pipe to remain full size up to the point of vent, that means 3” until vent is tied in. A 3” x 1-1/2” san tee and a 3” x 1-1/2” wye for the bidet is the minimum drain and venting scenario. The way you are drawing it, the bidet is individually vented and the toilet isn’t vented at all, because the bidet enters the 3” drain portion before the vent stack does.
"""
I don't see why adding the bidet means the toilet isn't vented at all. What am I missing?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you use 2" for the bidet and it's vent, then it wet vents the toilet.
Normally a bidet could be run with 1.5" and use a 1.25" p-trap like a lav.

It looks pretty good what you have there.

Stevemac00

Reaction score
Terry, you've been so helpful from my first question. Thank you. I was told (paraphrasing): If the bidet is a 2.0 DFU (which it is in Wisconsin) that it can't be used as a wet vent.

"If you use 2" for the bidet and it's vent, then it wet vents the toilet"​

Any idea where I can find this in the UPC so I can then try to find the same thing in Wisconsin?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote;
here are two floor outlet fixtures, so they need to be circuit vented in order to keep them in the same horizontal plane, wet venting is not an option. A circuit vent requires the vent portion of the pipe to remain full size up to the point of vent, that means 3” until vent is tied in. A 3” x 1-1/2” san tee and a 3” x 1-1/2” wye for the bidet is the minimum drain and venting scenario. The way you are drawing it, the bidet is individually vented and the toilet isn’t vented at all, because the bidet enters the 3” drain portion before the vent stack does.
"""
That paragraph makes my head spin because I cannot figure out what it is saying, but it appears to be 'garbage'.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you were to take off the bidet by itself, not from the toilet and vented that, the bidet would be right.
Normally I wye off the other fixtures below the toilet in that situation.

Wye off below for bidet, running out that direction with the vent shown in the drawing.
That leaves the top of the santee for the toilet vent.

Last edited:

Stevemac00

Reaction score
"Wye off below for bidet, running out that direction with the vent shown in the drawing."​
Are you saying move the vent between the toilet and the stack? I really have a problem with space as I have exposed beams below the 1-1/2" T&G floor so I have no joist bays for plumbing. I can't swap the bidet position with toilet as "I'm on the edge" vertically. By happenstance the bidet has a higher drain than the toilet so it can be "upstream" - at least slope-wise.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks