1970 Kohler Wellworth with a cracked base

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I didn't think you would drive a car that was that old and out of date, so why do you want a toilet that is 50 years out of date? Especially one that is broken?

Reach4

Reaction score
I didn't think you would drive a car that was that old and out of date, so why do you want a toilet that is 50 years out of date? Especially one that is broken?
Try putting 151594649064 into your favorite search engine.

Reaction score
image.jpg

I DO drive a car old and out of date! And not by choice either! A 1983 F100 with 189,000 miles!! I -COLLECT- TOILETS. That's why I want a toilet that is "50 years out of date." THANK YOU!

Last edited by a moderator:

WV gold

Reaction score
L
Don't pay any attention to the folks on here who, because they are supposedly professionals, have no tact at all if they're not in complete agreement with you. I also have something of a toilet preoccupation or fascination or whatever you want to call it and have taken more than my share of flack about it. I personally prefer American Standard over Toto, as is my right and privilege, but I feel like I've committed sacrilege if I express my views. In case you're interested, I have a NOS Kohler Wellworth elongated from around 1980 in Fresh Green, with a Bemis Color Match seat. I hooked it up long enough to test it. The tank internals were degraded from years of storage so they have been upgraded. I'll sell it but it's not cheap!

WV gold

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum & have been searching the Internet to try & locate a replacement for my 1976 fresh green toilet. I think the toilet bowl is in pretty good condition but my problem was a leaking tank. I know very little about plumbing- so I had a plumber come to take a look. He took the tank & toliet apart & found a hairline crack in the bottom of the tank. It's on the outside not inside of the tank & doesn't appear to go all the way through. I asked if it could be repaired & he said no. The crack isn't huge- with all the chemical compounds these days I just don't understand why epoxy wouldn't work. The inside tank components were working but need replaced & no one around here seems interested in helping me. The answer I've received when I've asked is "just buy a new white toilet." Well the sink & tub are also fresh green & I like for things to match. There are no chips or cracks in the lid or bowl. I see where you said you have a fresh green Kohler- do you still have it? Or do you have any experience patching hairline cracks in the outside bottom of the tank?

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum & have been searching the Internet to try & locate a replacement for my 1976 fresh green toilet. I think the toilet bowl is in pretty good condition but my problem was a leaking tank. I know very little about plumbing- so I had a plumber come to take a look. He took the tank & toliet apart & found a hairline crack in the bottom of the tank. It's on the outside not inside of the tank & doesn't appear to go all the way through. I asked if it could be repaired & he said no. The crack isn't huge- with all the chemical compounds these days I just don't understand why epoxy wouldn't work. The inside tank components were working but need replaced & no one around here seems interested in helping me. The answer I've received when I've asked is "just buy a new white toilet." Well the sink & tub are also fresh green & I like for things to match. There are no chips or cracks in the lid or bowl. I see where you said you have a fresh green Kohler- do you still have it? Or do you have any experience patching hairline cracks in the outside bottom of the tank?
As long as the crack doesn't extend to the area of the bolt holes, I don't see why you can't repair it. The fact that it's leaking indicates that the crack goes all the way through, even though not necessarily visible on the inside.

Here is what I would do. Buy the new tank components. There's no reason to use OEM parts, unless you display this as part of a non-functioning collection. The new fill valves are better than the Fresh Green generation float ball type. The basic universal Fluidmaster or Korky will work fine. Buy a Fluidmaster or Korky universal adjustable 2-inch flush valve with the red flapper. Finally, buy the Kohler tank-to-bowl gasket, Item #K-GP51487, pictured below. With the tank components removed, thoroughly scrub the outside bottom and entire interior of the tank with baking soda. Rinse thoroughly and allow to dry, preferably outside, weather permitting, for at least 8 hours. Paint the inside of the tank with a high quality waterproof marine/swimming pool paint, following the label directions. I would use at least 3 coats. On the underside of the tank, patch the crack with silicone caulk. It doesn't matter whether you use white or clear since it's on the bottom and won't show. Draw a thin bead along the crack and then work it well into the crack with your finger or a small putty knife, smoothing down and removing any excess. Let the silicone dry for 24 hours, reassemble and you should be back in business. WARNING: If the existing crack is close to the bolt holes, it will almost certainly spread when you tighten the tank bolts. BE VERY CAREFUL.

I noticed you said you know little about plumbing. This project is very basic and the instructions included with the new tank parts are very clear.

I still have my Fresh Green elongated Wellworth. It was still new in the box when I bought it. I installed it just long enough to check it for damage and functionality. It has not been "christened." The tank components had deteriorated from years of being in storage, so I replaced them. I also bought a new plastic Bemis Color Direct seat for it. I'll sell it for $500, shipping included.
Kohler Trianglular Gasket.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks