Help! fuse keeps blowing

Users who are viewing this thread

512dmora

Reaction score
i have a whirlpool e2h50rd045v that first gave me top, then bottom element error code. so i replaced both. now it will only run if i turn the temp down low, or it will blow circuit.
i ohmed out each one, no shorts to tank and each measured 12.7 ohms.
i'm a newbie and tried the search with no luck, but i am in a real pinch and could use some help!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not sure on that one, but if one of the thermostats is flakey, it may be trying to turn on both elements at the same time, overloading the circuit. It could be a wiring error, or a bad thermostat. Most electric WH only run one element at a time, but if both are trying to run, that could easily overload the circuit and blow a fuse (or CB, if you have those).

512dmora

Reaction score
Not sure on that one, but if one of the thermostats is flakey, it may be trying to turn on both elements at the same time, overloading the circuit. It could be a wiring error, or a bad thermostat. Most electric WH only run one element at a time, but if both are trying to run, that could easily overload the circuit and blow a fuse (or CB, if you have those).

512dmora

Reaction score
it has a "board " in it. i don't think there are old style thermostats in it. Afraid the board is bad!!!!

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
It has the T-Stat, and safety breaker. It should be under the top cover.

If the breaker on the heater is not tripping, I would look for heating and a loose connection in the fuse panel.

Or, you may have the new elements wired wrong. Or they are the wrong voltage/wattage.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A bad element will blow the breaker, as will both elements working at the same time. Running it at a low temperature MIGHT not activate a shorted out element, depending on which one it is and how the electronics operate them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks