Advice to first time DIYer replacing 14" rough-in toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

dosstx

Reaction score
Glad to find this site!

I just moved into an older home and the first thing I want to do is remove the toilet and replace with a new one. The bathroom is small...looks like around 6.5ft x 6.5ft, so I'll need to find a toilet that works well in terms of legroom and space for a small bathroom.

However, I measured the rough in to be around 14-15". I went to Lowes and HD and the sales people said they don't sell any with a roughin that size. Looking around this forum...I see some possibilities (Toto?) . Do you have to special order those or can I pick one up locally in the St. Louis area? Any other advice for a first time diyer replacing a toilet in an older home? Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Today, almost ALL 14" toilets use the same bowl as the 12". They just make the tank 2" deeper to the rear to fill up the space. So buying a 14" toielt will NOT help you with your space requirements. Toto's with a UniFit adapter will take up less room, but at a higher price plus more difficult installation.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
Cadet Pro Compact 2.png
Glad to find this site!

I just moved into an older home and the first thing I want to do is remove the toilet and replace with a new one. The bathroom is small...looks like around 6.5ft x 6.5ft, so I'll need to find a toilet that works well in terms of legroom and space for a small bathroom.

However, I measured the rough in to be around 14-15". I went to Lowes and HD and the sales people said they don't sell any with a roughin that size. Looking around this forum...I see some possibilities (Toto?) . Do you have to special order those or can I pick one up locally in the St. Louis area? Any other advice for a first time diyer replacing a toilet in an older home? Thanks!
American Standard Cadet PRO Compact Right Height Elongated 14" Rough-In 1.28 gpf Toilet
Model No. 215FC.104.020 (white)

American Standard Cadet PRO Compact Right Height Elongated 14" Rough-In 1.6 gpf Toilet
Model No. 215FC.004.020 (white)

dosstx

Reaction score
So let me get this right....I can install any standard toilet despite having a rough in of 14"? Currently the toilet I have is a round standard (I think) and it has a 2" gap from tank to wall. This doesn't bother me. The only reason someone might want a toilet with a 14" roughin is because of the 2" gap from tank to wall that they need to avoid in small bathrooms due to legroom??

So, I can run out to local store and get a standard toilet if I'm willing to live with the 2" gap??

I was under the impression this whole roughin business was trap and bowl related !

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As I stated, MOST 14" toilets have a tank which is 2" THICKER to fill the space between the tank and the wall, but has NOTHING to do with taking up less room in the bathroom. You have a 12" toilet and ANY 12" toilet will fit the same way. MANY years ago, the 14" toilets used the same tank as the 12" ones and the bowls were made with the opening 2" further from the back and they DID take up less legroom in the bathroom, but they decided it was cheaper to make different tanks than bowls.

Reach4

Reaction score
You have it right, except the gap could be more like 2.5 or 3 inches or even more depending on the toilet. On a 12 inch rough-in, there is usually some gap. So you will just add to it.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
Both of the American Standard toilets that I referenced above have 14" rough-in (finished wall to center of drain flange or to the floor bolt holes in the bowl) and extend 30-1/8" from the finished wall to the front edge of the bowl when installed.

dosstx

Reaction score
Both of the American Standard toilets that I referenced above have 14" rough-in (finished wall to center of drain flange or to the floor bolt holes in the bowl) and extend 30-1/8" from the finished wall to the front edge of the bowl when installed.

Thank you. So that would be a good choice ?

dosstx

Reaction score
12" model would ALSO extend 30" from the wall but would have 2+ inches behind it and cost less.
That's a great point! Might as well go with the 12" then!
Is this a project a for a first-timer to do in one day or should i call a plumber? I have a wedding coming up in 2 weeks...so can't take this toilet out of action unless I have high confidence I can get this installed without any issues o_O . I do have an upstairs toilet to use as an emergency though, but that cuts through the master bedroom.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
That's a great point! Might as well go with the 12" then!
Is this a project a for a first-timer to do in one day or should i call a plumber? I have a wedding coming up in 2 weeks...so can't take this toilet out of action unless I have high confidence I can get this installed without any issues o_O . I do have an upstairs toilet to use as an emergency though, but that cuts through the master bedroom.
The two American Standard 14" rough-in toilets I mentioned above are actually considerably LESS EXPENSIVE than their 12" rough-in counterparts. You can do this yourself. Go with the Sani Seal to avoid the messy wax. The toilet comes with everything you need to install it. You might need a large screw driver, an adjustable wrench and some deep well sockets or nut drivers to remove the old toilet. Some Kano oil or WD-40 on the old floor bolts will help if they're rusty. The seat is also sold separately. Good luck!

Last edited:

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
Thank you. So that would be a good choice ?
Yes. Contrary to what some would have you believe, American Standard has stepped up their game, especially with the PRO line. The Cadet PRO is excellent -- flushes practically anything and has great bowl wash.

dosstx

Reaction score
Yes. Contrary to what some would have you believe, American Standard has stepped up their game, especially with the PRO line. The Cadet PRO is excellent -- flushes practically anything and has great bowl wash.

Browsing the American Standards website, it looks like there are 2 "mom and pop" stores kind of near me. I dont' think Lowes and HD have the 14" in stock, but they may carry it via special order. Is there a recommendation to buy it locally if it will cost a bit more? I guess in case of having to return it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Queen50

Reaction score
I see they also make that toilet with regular height and round bowl. That would save a couple of inches protrusion into the room.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
I see they also make that toilet with regular height and round bowl. That would save a couple of inches protrusion into the room.
It's not available with the 14-inch rough-in. It would only save 1-7/8" protrusion into the room. I'd personally rather deal with that than have a big space between the tank and wall. The ADA height and elongated bowl are also so much more comfortable for many people.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
Browsing the American Standards website, it looks like there are 2 "mom and pop" stores kind of near me. I dont' think Lowes and HD have the 14" in stock, but they may carry it via special order. Is there a recommendation to buy it locally if it will cost a bit more? I guess in case of having to return it?
If a local supplier can get it for a reasonable price, I would go that route. I like to try to keep the mom and pop shops in business, if I can.

Last edited by a moderator:

dosstx

Reaction score
Spacing from the edge of the bowl to the bathroom sink is not an issue with my current toilet. However, now with the new measurements for the suggested AS toilet that was mentioned in this thread, I do lose an inch and so while not a big concern, I do have my eye on it.

Anything is better than the current 1950s toilet it seems this bathroom has. Just learned the upstairs Kohler is a late 1980s model. I guess the exterior of these toilets have not changed much since the the middle of last century!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
If it were I, I would order the Vespin II, which is the cheapest Toto with a Unifit Adapter, and get the 14" adapter. Yeah it's a little more work to install, but that makes a big difference in a small space, and you have a small space.

Here's how Terry illustrates it. Here is the space where Terry installed a 12" toilet on the spot and another where he installed at Toto with Unifit and the 14" adapter. Same space, just mirror-image photos. You can see what a difference the Unifit makes in positioning the toilet; it actually pulls it back, so you have more legroom and standing room.

toilet_14_rough2.jpg

toilet_14_rough.jpg

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Oh, and if you're doing a 12" toilet and you want a good value, go with the Toto Entrada if you like the look. Great toilet at a low price. Do some research online and by calling local plumbing supply places, and you'll find plenty of local places to get it at a good price. Don't bother with Lowes or HD.

dosstx

Reaction score
Well that's great info! I may get two...an AS for the big master bathroom and then the Vespin II for the small bathroom. Wow, I had no idea I'd be spending my Memorial Weekend learning about all kinds of toilets. When my soon-to-be-wife asks me what I am doing, I say "not much"...and she says..."you're not reading about toilets again, are you??" :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks