Pool Heat Pump and amps

Users who are viewing this thread

Harry Golden

Reaction score
Could use some help. I'm looking at buying a heat pump for my inground pool. Upgrading existing electrical service is problematic because current service is across a paved drive, up a rocky hill. I have 50 amp service box at pool now. Pool pump pulls 7 amps. Electrician says I can install 40 amp heat pump. Raypac makes unit with circuit ampacity at 40 amps and maximum breaker at 60. I don't know what that means in light of my current service. Can this unit be installed with my current service? Thanks

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
You're good. 40A is the size of the circuit but because of the characteristics of heat pumps you are permitted to use a 60A breaker to feed it.

Harry Golden

Reaction score
Thank you, Sir. I noticed that raypac has a size larger model that has an ampacity of 42 amps. Based on the circumstances of my 50 amp service, would that be pushing it to purchase the larger size?

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
To answer your question properly I would need to come out to your place, better you should talk to your electrician. If he is experienced and competent he will steer you right.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks