Cleaning resin tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mckeand13

Engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.project-one.us
I'm planning to swap out the resin in my softener tanks (9100) soon.

It seems like there is a layer of iron, or at least orange, coating the inside of the tanks. Does anybody have a recommended method to clean the inside? Probably not necessary but that's just me.

CLR and a new toilet brush tapes to a rake handle?

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
Consider Super Iron Out to remove rust. You can search the forum for "iron out" references although those are usually about treatment other than replacing the resin.

I would use a bleach solution on the tank after other cleaning and before adding the new resin.

Also find discussions of sanitizing the new resin with a small amount of chlorine bleach.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
A mild acid should work fine. Super Iron Out, CLR, Lime-Away, etc. are all acids. Do not use high ph cleaners, this will likely make the iron unable to be removed. All this being said, if it is simply discolored, not to much to worry about.

Bannerman

Reaction score
If there is iron in the water, that may need to be addressed separate of the softener. Even if the iron is low enough to be somewhat efficiently removed by the softener, you will likely need to use Iron-Out or similar through the softener on a regular basis to prevent the iron from fouling your new resin.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks