If you were stranded on a desert island......

Users who are viewing this thread

pinkpajamas

Reaction score
....and this desert island only had room for a 10" rough in toilet, and that was the ONLY toilet you and your boyfriend had on this desert island, and you NEVER EVER again wanted to pay some dude $175 to unclog that desert island's only toilet, would you choose:

Toto Drake

or

Gerber Ultra Flush 21-311???

Weigh in, please.

pinkpajamas

Reaction score
Let's call it a "vintage" desert island with an existing 11" rough in, leaving no space for a 12" rough, sadly.

If neither, then what? Keep in mind we are not Trumps. I liked Gerber quite a bit until that recall fiasco. Sloan had to custom make my new tank, after three attempts to give me a new factory part. But I so loved the power flush.

Reach4

Reaction score
Measure your rough-in more carefully. "11 inches" sounds like a measurement give or take a half inch.

I have seen posts that say some 12 inch Toto Drakes can fit onto an 11 inch rough-in because they leave an inch or more of space to the wall when installed onto a 12 inch rough-in.

pinkpajamas

Reaction score
Measure your rough-in more carefully. "11 inches" sounds like a measurement give or take a half inch.

I have seen posts that say some 12 inch Toto Drakes can fit onto an 11 inch rough-in because they leave an inch or more of space to the wall when installed onto a 12 inch rough-in.
Pardon me for asking, but if the Drake comes in a 10" rough in size, why wouldn't I use the 10"?

pinkpajamas

Reaction score
As it happens, I'm using a drake eco flush right now, and it's...okay. It's way more quiet. Maybe I equate noisy flushes with productivity, post Gerber.

Reach4

Reaction score
Pardon me for asking, but if the Drake comes in a 10" rough in size, why wouldn't I use the 10"?
It would fit with no drama. Some people take pains to minimize the distance that the toilet extends toward the middle of the bathroom.

pinkpajamas

Reaction score
Yeah, it's not the world's biggest bathroom, and it's our only one, but we have an American Standard Hamilton now and I hate it. I don't want to hate my toilet. I want to love it. I want it to take everything I have to give, and more, in the event of houseguests.

index.php

pinkpajamas

Reaction score
If I could find out if the American Standard Hamilton actually came in an 11" size, that would be interesting to know.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; No! neither of us could unclog this thing, we had to pay

You are on a DESERTED island. WHO is going to come and unclog it, unless you are like Gilligan and a plumber washes ashore and then sails away again with your $175.00.

pinkpajamas

Reaction score
OKAY. I got home and remeasured, without taking the baseboard into consideration, and we DO have room for a 12" toilet.
Now the world of toilets is open to us, an almost overwhelming concept.

What, then? My head is spinning. TOTO Ultramax?????? OMG

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks!

My boyfriend is still interested in the Drake.
Drake, or ULTRAMAX?
Drake: cheaper, and the pieces are lighter to carry.
Ultramax: one piece means slightly easier to clean, and it looks more elegant. If access is easy and the installer(s) is/are strong, the extra weight to climb stairs etc may not be a big deal. The tank is integral, so no tank assembly required. That extra assembly might be 5 minutes for a plumber or 120 minutes for a novice.

Edit: when you discuss this with your boyfriend, you might translate elegant to impressive.

Last edited:

pinkpajamas

Reaction score
hmmmm. I had a one piece and loved it. People tend to lean back on a two piece and that can harm it, I've learned. We are first floor, so that's not a problem. I'm intrigued by the double cyclone and the CEFIONTECT the ultramax features.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
http://www.gerberonline.com/downloads/specs/Toilet/HE-21-311.pdf

The Gerber doesn't look that bad. 2" trapway instead of 2+1/8" for the Toto. But uit does have a nice rounded and smooth trapway. If the Gerber can take a regular round plunger, I'd probably lean towards the Gerber instead of the Toto that needs a trapezoidal plunger. As to clogging any toilet - don't use double ply paper, go instead with Scott 1-ply 1000 sheet paper and only use as much as from the paper dispenser to the floor, or about 2 feet at a time.

It's shortcoming is that it is at the regular 14.5" height. Most new toilets are now coming out in ADA heights. The problems usually surface when in the bathroom you have an extended counter top that goes over the tank lid. Then you have to make sure that the height is under 30". Probably about 28.5" to be able to remove the tank lid. Which doesn't make sense either because you won't be able to get to the innards.

That Gerber would probably be ideal for those that have baseboard heat behind the toilet. It doesn't have the largest water spot size though, at 58.796". The UltraMax II and Drake II 1.28G ADA have 65.015", whereas the Drake ADA has 85.59".

I don't know about the Gerber Power Flush but the Toto Drake is phenomenal. You can't really appreciate it until you see a Kohler without siphonic action slowly swirling and taking a long time to complete a full flush. With the Toto you depress the handle all the way down and let the handle go. That's it - "slurp," it's gone. It takes 20 seconds to refill the tank.

If your counter top is at 30.5" (30" high cabinet and 0.5" high counter top) then you will probably want a toilet that is that high, like the Eco Drake 1.2gpf CST744EL, which is 30.5". It probably doesn't matter to most people, though, as looks account for a lot, so a nice looking tank makes a big difference. The Drake II CST454, to me, is a masculine looking toilet. To me the Toto Entrada and the one piece toilets are feminine looking. Sorry, but to me the Gerber tank is hideous.The two-piece toilets usually have better MAP scores than one piece units and the ADA toilets have higher MAP scores than the regular height two piece toilets.

You may want to search for YouTube.com videos and look at all of them before making a decision.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks