Use recirc control in Noritz NRC1111DVNG?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lifespeed

Reaction score
I installed a Noritz NRC1111DVNG with a Redytemp recirc pump at the water heater location. It is controlled by timer until the thermostat at the furthest sink warms up. During the rest of the day when the timer is off, manual rocker switches (kitchen and two bathrooms) will trigger the pump to heat the pipes.

Noritz has an internal relay in this hot water heater that they claim is the preferred method of controlling the recirculation pump. I don't know anything about it, and am unsure how this could be an improvement on my Redytemp setup. If, for example, Noritz had an input (from the timer or switch) as well as an output (to the pump), I could see the possibility of cold water sandwich avoidance by firing the burner until the water was hot, and THEN turning on the pump. A trick that is not possible when the burner is triggered by water flow from a faucet.

But I don't see an input in their manual, and there is little to no description of the logic controlling this relay.

Does anybody know anything about Noritz's recirc pump control, and if it can be used in conjunction with my existing control to improve it?

nrc1111_recirc.jpg

Lifespeed

Reaction score
None whatsoever. Noritz pretty much said "just use our control output". The problem with that is it probably keeps the pipes hot 24/7 which is supremely inefficient. The timer/thermostatic/manual setup I have is far more flexible and only recirculates a few hours a day, the rest of the time it is under manual control.

The only advantage I can see integrating with Noritz directly is it might be smart enough to light the burner at the same time it starts the pump, rather than waiting a couple seconds for the flow sensor to trigger the burner when the recirc pump starts. Then again, they may not do that and there is no advantage at all.

The lack of documentation is really unhelpful, but I doubt the built-in recirc controller is better than what I have.

Kayleigh Bohannan

Reaction score
There might be a better solution out there for you lifespeed. It sounds to me, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the flow switch seems to be your biggest issue in getting hot water on demand. Also, being frustrated with a product that doesn't work as efficiently as possible. Have you heard of the Heatworks MODEL 1 tankless electric water heater? It does NOT HAVE ANY FLOW SWITCH and it does not use a heating element, which every other water heater in the world does. Instead it uses graphite electrodes which, in short, prevent scaling and plating, prevent you from having a super heated part that either fails or requires maintenance, and provides truly instant, safe and infinite hot water with an efficiency rating of over 99%. It never requires any maintenance and it can save you up to 40% on energy costs and 10% on water. It also doesn't suck up a ton of energy all day long keeping the water in the tank at a certain degree. It accepts pre-heated water so if you don't want to throw out your tank just yet but want to improve the efficiency of the tank while improving your overall experience, the MODEL 1 is for you. Added bonus: it operates silently so no awful noises to hear in the event you install the unit at point of use aka under a kitchen or bathroom sink or in a cabinet (which can be done because it is the size of a football). In the interest of full disclosure i do work for the company that invented the Heatworks MODEL 1, however a big part of our business is just educating people on what might work best for them, including using our product in conjunction with their existing system. Our goal is to improve your quality of life while saving you money in the long term. Also, if you have any questions please feel free to ask! You can learn even more about the Heatworks MODEL 1 here http://myheatworks.com/technology.php . thanks so much and i hope you find something that works for you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks