Fleck 7000 SXT Programming

Users who are viewing this thread

Jjfuhreck

Reaction score
Afternoon fellas,

I finished installing my new well pressure tank this weekend. While I was at it, I added a water softener to my system. It is a Fleck SXT 7000 - 32K grain unit. I have done some reading about programming, but I am still at a loss for how to program the thing. I would really appreciate any help you could give as to what all the settings should be at. I am trying to get it to be about as efficient as it can be without compromising on softness. I am going to be purchasing a water testing kit to make sure it is really dialed in. If you could help me with set up programming, and what numbers to change in the future based on my water test kit, I would be grateful.

Only 2 of us in the house and we don't use a lot of water between us.

Hardness of 17
Iron of 0.5

BLFC 0.125
I bought the SST resin because they claimed it would help save on salt.

I don't know a whole lot more but I can try to get more info if you need it.

Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
Here is my stab at it. Feel free to ask why a number was chosen.
pix_4.GIF
I am not a pro, and others may have better suggestions.

Hach 5-B test is what you want to get to dial C in.

Last edited:

Jjfuhreck

Reaction score
So if the Mach test shows hardness still, which way to I go to dial the "C"?
Would that be the only adjustment?

Reach4

Reaction score
If a hardness test shows residual hardness, you could dial C down, but I would tend to dial H up (increase H) instead as being more representative of what is probably happening.

I presume this is speculative, because I doubt that you have done a regeneration and a test since I posted suggested numbers.

I am not familiar with a Mach test, but from the context I presume it measures hardness.

Jjfuhreck

Reaction score
Reach4-

Yes. I am planning to give your numbers a try tonight as well as order the test kit. Speculative only. Also, I meant Hach 5-B test.
Any channeling concerns if it goes 12 days without a regen?

If the test shows no hardness, what number would I change in order to tweak optimization until I began to see hardness?

Reach4

Reaction score
I only know what I read, and I don't remember seeing channeling as a problem.

The reason I suggested DO=12 is to not go too long without regeneration due to iron. Yet you only have 0.5 PPM of iron, so I was really guessing a number between the 7 or 8 that you might use with 3 ppm of iron and the 21 or more that you might select with no iron. I have not seen discussion of a rule of thumb for that.

You can estimate residual hardness by noting suds retention with a test amount of water shaken with a small amount of soap. Later when you get your Hach test, and you will have an easy test.

If no hardness detected, you could decrease H and then pay attention to try to check hardness a little before the softener is expected to regenerate.

Jjfuhreck

Reaction score
Thank you, Reach 4. I appreciate your insight. It is extremely helpful.

Anyone else have any thoughts about how long is safe to go before a DO regen?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Assuming the water is low in sediment, iron, etc, then 14-30 days is just fine. This is often over thought. Older 5600 mechanical meters did not have Day Overrides, never been a problem with them. Also consider most exchange tanks are designed to last 28+ days to minimize delivery and exchange costs.

Reach4

Reaction score
Brine draw time that also includes the slow rinse. I think 60 minutes total is pretty common. The purpose of the slow rinse part is to wash the brine (salt) off of the resin. I copied the bit about the white and red injector thing from a specific Ditttohead post, and I probably should not have done that. The injector is a color-coded little venturi that sucks the brine at a particular rate and, once the brine has been all sucked up, determines the slow rinse rate. I think his advice on that one was specific to a particular unit, and I think the tank size was significantly larger than yours.

If somebody found that the water tasted saltier shortly after a regeneration than it did a day or two later, that would be a sign to lengthen the Bd time.

Ditttohead, what do you think... worth checking the injector, or presume the seller put one in that was sized to be compatible with an hour of brine draw for the 1 cuft of resin?

Last edited:

ReGz

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Was looking for advise on proper programming for the following devices, i only have me and my wife and consumption is less than 200 gallons a day -

Fleck 7000 SXT Backwashing pH Neutralizing Filter 2.5 Cubic Foot
Fleck 7000 SXT On Demand 48,000 Grain Water Softener 1.5 Cubic Foot

• Hardness is 1.5 gpg
  • ph is 5.5
  • Iron is 1.5
  • Manganese is 0.55

Thanks!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Test the water after the pH neutralizing filter first. Depending on too many factors to list, you may get considerable iron/manganese reduction prior to the softener. What is your TDS? Do you have any more information on the water?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks