Outdoor condo frost free hose bib near electrical outlet

Users who are viewing this thread

Christoff

Reaction score
Hello, i am living in a condo inToronto Ontario and i have a Zurn frost free hose bib that is leaking.
The builder has agreed to fix the problem but my main concern is the legality of the outdoor electrical box that is just 10 inches below the bib, is this installed to building code? Is it legal to have an electrical box in such a position where the water does leak directly into the box?

Attachments

• 20150504_174728.jpg
    20150504_174728.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 710

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not sure about the Canadian codes, but my thought is: how is a leaking faucet any different than it getting rained on?

Christoff

Reaction score
Not sure about the Canadian codes, but my thought is: how is a leaking faucet any different than it getting rained on?
hi, i agree to a point but there is a 8 x 18 foot balcony on top of us that keeps the rain away.
I have found something more important, it is not gfi protected and thats got to be a code violation.The receptacle is not hooked in line with any of the existing gfi's in the kitchen or washrooms and has no gfi breaker in the panel.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
hi, i agree to a point but there is a 8 x 18 foot balcony on top of us that keeps the rain away.
I have found something more important, it is not gfi protected and thats got to be a code violation.The receptacle is not hooked in line with any of the existing gfi's in the kitchen or washrooms and has no gfi breaker in the panel.

Why not just install a GFCI ?

Good Luck on your project.

Christoff

Reaction score
Yup that is an easy solution but the place is under warranty and i would like to know how the building inspector signed off on this.
I really hope i am missing something.

DonL

Reaction score
Yup that is an easy solution but the place is under warranty and i would like to know how the building inspector signed off on this.
I really hope i am missing something.

You are missing something, a GFCI.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I can guarantee you that no building inspector goes around checking every wire, outlet and fixture on a building project. You need a receptacle replaced. If you are capable of doing it properly, it will take $10 and 15 minutes, which is probably less than you have already invested in thinking about it.

DonL

Reaction score
I can guarantee you that no building inspector goes around checking every wire, outlet and fixture on a building project. You need a receptacle replaced. If you are capable of doing it properly, it will take $10 and 15 minutes, which is probably less than you have already invested in thinking about it.

And if they did my guess more violations would be found, If they did not install a GFCI on a outdoor receptacle.

Must have been lowest bidder.

Christoff

Reaction score
Everything that i can see other than behind the walls seem ok, but they will install the gfi's because the unit is under warranty.
i won't be spending any money, count on that.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
In new construction here in the U.S., almost every circuit in the house has to be protected by an AFCI or GFCI. It adds a fair amount of cost to the electrical installation so the bidders do what they think they can get away with. If the inspectors were enforcing everything up to the current code cycle, I think there would be a bit of shock throughout the industry.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks