Sizing Softener & Fleck 5600SXT/7000SXT or Clack WS1

Users who are viewing this thread

jwith

Reaction score
I'm sorry for another sizing post. I'm looking to install my own water softener. I think I've finally settled on a size and I'm now looking for a controller. I found a local distributor that will custom build a softener with Fleck, Clack, or Autotrol control valves.

Here's my specs:
The water is from an artesian well with the following qualities:
Iron (Tot) 1 mg/L
Iron (Ferric/solid): 0.2 mg/L
Iron(Ferrous/solution): 0.8mg/L
Manganese: 0.2mg/L
pH: 7.2
Hardness: 8 gpg (11.6 gpg compensated for iron & manganese)

There are (2) two adults in the household with an estimated 130 gallons per day. The house is built for a family of 5 and we want to be able to support this. Additionally we have 3 bathrooms with an estimated SFR of 10-15 GPM. I decided to go with a 1.5 cuft softener due to the SFR and future growth. A little extra salt will be necessary for two, but it will grow well with the household. We'll probably dose it with 3-6lbs/cuft and backwash no more than every 10 days. With this setting I think we'll regenerate every 10 days and no sooner. I'd like to push it out further, but with the iron in the water I don't want to have issues with the resin. Any opinions on this?

I have created a spreadsheet for computing efficiency/cost of softener. This is based on qualitywaterassicoates.com sizing guide. I fixed a few bugs and added some other features. Water Softener.xlsx (sorry for the horrible link, I couldn't upload this type of file to the forum)

As for the controller, I'm trying to figure which is best for my application. I currently have 3/4" copper plumbing with a brass ball valve bypass configuration. My well pump can handle 10GPM @ 40PSI (this may be upgraded in the near future). I was thinking about the Fleck 5600SXT or the 7000SXT specifically, because they appear to be the most widely used. The only reason for the 7000SXT was for improved GPM with reduced pressure loss. I'm on well water so every PSI counts. I found some information on the web regarding the Clack WS1, which seemed to have been a favorite for DIY, until they stopped allowing them to be sold online.

When I spoke with the local distributed, they preferred the Clack WS1, and it was nearly $100 less than the 5600SXT. Things that are important to me are: easy to install, well documented installation and configuration, widely used (tried-and-true), reliable (long life without service), easy to service, parts widely available, and not near the end-of-life (parts will continue to be easily accessible).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
If you can get it locally, go for the Clack WS1. All three of your choices will do you well. My preference would be the WS1 or the 7000 over the 5600SXT.

jwith

Reaction score
Thanks dittohead.

Are all the WS1's the same? I've seen some documentation regarding the WS1-TC, EI, and CI, but I don't know the differences.

Reach4

Reaction score
I looks like you have really done your homework.:cool:

Clack parts will probably be available from your local dealer, but I don't think you would say the parts are widely available. Many parts are available via http://www.softenerparts.com/Default.asp . I suspect they may be a little gray market -- not illegal or fake, but they may have to buy their parts somewhere other than directly from Clack. Regarding easy to install, it would not be you doing the install of the Clack anyway, right? If the local place charges $100 less for WS1, he may be compensating on a different line item.

While you are plumbing, you might want to put a whole house filter in place to handle sand, rocks, or whatever else comes in from the well. I like the Pentek Big Blue housings for 20 x 4.5 filters.

jwith

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4, The local distributor said they carry all the parts to service the Clacks, Flecks, and Autotrol. It just makes me nervous to rely on a single source. I had included the sediment filter you suggested w/ a 25/05 micron filter.

The further I dig, the more questions I have. I was looking through Clacks literature and I noticed there are many Clack WS1s. What is the difference between the WS1, WS1-CI, EI, TC, CS? Is there one I should specifically be looking for? Can I control the salt dosage with this unit?

In regards to sizing, I'm now wondering if I need to go with less resin. Based on my calculations I was assuming I could use a 3lbs/cuft of salt dosage to improve my efficiency and increase my regeneration frequency (due to iron in the water). After reading some articles it sounds like I might need higher dosage to remove the iron. Is there a minimal dosage I should use for my 0.8mg/L of iron and a maximum regeneration time? I wanted 1.5cuft of resin to keep my SFR high, but if I have to use high salt dosage I'll basically be running the unit in time mode and it will be very inefficient on salt.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
You could use a simple iron reduction system. With that low of iron, an iron removal system will eliminate the need for sediment filtration since the iron system is also a sediment removal unit. It will also allow you to run your softener at maximum efficiency.

Reach4

Reaction score
My well pump can handle 10GPM @ 40PSI (this may be upgraded in the near future). I was thinking about the Fleck 5600SXT or the 7000SXT specifically, because they appear to be the most widely used. The only reason for the 7000SXT was for improved GPM with reduced pressure loss. I'm on well water so every PSI counts.

It seems odd that you would have such a high water level but only get 40 PSI or so. I am presuming this is a jet pump. Maybe that is what the pump is rated at. If the pump should do more, some people who have lower than expected PSI from a jet pump are advised to clean the jet. There is often a plug for easy access. The user sticks a wire through the hole and through the jet orifice. Plug is restored. The pressure often improves. I have never done it.

Regarding salt costs, with 40 pounds of salt costing about $5, 1.5 cuft at 6 lbs/cuft would use 9 pounds each regeneration. So if you regenerated every 7 or 8 days at that level, you are using about $60 per year in salt. If you could cut that in half, you would still only be saving $30 per year.

Last edited:

jwith

Reaction score
It seems odd that you would have such a high water level but only get 40 PSI or so.
Honestly, this was a rough measurement. I have a 40/60 pressure switch with a large(50-100 gallon) pressure tank. When I measured the fill rate I was getting about 10.33GPM. I could probably get away with a 1.0 or 1.25 cuft resin, but I figured I might occasionally get some hard leakage. I'd clean the jet but I have a submersible pump.

Regarding salt costs, with 40 pounds of salt costing about $5, 1.5 cuft at 6 lbs/cuft would use 9 pounds each regeneration. So if you regenerated every 7 or 8 days at that level, you are using about $60 per year in salt. If you could cut that in half, you would still only be saving $30 per year.
So in other words, its relatively inexpensive and I shouldn't worry about it. I was just hoping if I was going to buy a metered control valve, that it would regenerate on usage not always on days override.

With as little iron as I have, I'm thinking of setting the days override to 9 and the dosage to 6lbs/cuft.

Reach4

Reaction score
Sounds good to me. You might leave room in case you want to add a backwashing iron and sulfur filter at the front end later.

And regarding your pump, you are obviously getting to 60 PSI fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks