Toilet keeps running?

Users who are viewing this thread

NeedAdvice

Reaction score
Hi, After flushing the toilet, the handle stays up and the toilet is running. I turn off the water off for many hours, then turn it back on. A while later, sometimes it settles itself (but only after being off for some time). This keeps happening though daily. The chain is very tightly secured. What is causing this problem?

Reach4

Reaction score
1. "The handle stays up". Which way do you turn the handle to flush? Most of us push down to flush, and the handle returns to the up position when we release the handle. Is your toilet different from that?

2. " The chain is very tightly secured. " Between flushes, there should be a little slack in the chain. If you don't have any slack, move the clip to the next link in the chain to provide a little slack.

NeedAdvice

Reaction score
1. "The handle stays up". Which way do you turn the handle to flush? Most of us push down to flush, and the handle returns to the up position when we release the handle. Is your toilet different from that?

2. " The chain is very tightly secured. " Between flushes, there should be a little slack in the chain. If you don't have any slack, move the clip to the next link in the chain to provide a little slack.
Thanks for the reply. The handle is normally at horizontal position, then when pressed down, it goes up then to normal but it has stayed at the up angle.
By tightening the chain, I meant that I tightened the clasp piece attached to the chain so it's not loose. I was figuring that it wasn't related to the chain though, because it seems to resolve itself after the water is turned off for a while. (I didn't have to open the back lid where the chain is located).

Reach4

Reaction score
I am still a little confused with the description of the handle, but I think you are saying that after you let go of the handle and the toilet eventually stops running, that the chain still has some slack-- as it should.

When the water is running too long, how high is the water level in the tank compared to the height where it would run into the overflow? One half inch below the overflow is a typical value. The point is, does the water continue to run because the fill valve is slow to shut off (water runs down the overflow), or does the water continue to run because the flapper is passing water that the fill valve has to make up for? That will determine which thing you fix.

NeedAdvice

Reaction score
I am still a little confused with the description of the handle, but I think you are saying that after you let go of the handle and the toilet eventually stops running, that the chain still has some slack-- as it should.

When the water is running too long, how high is the water level in the tank compared to the height where it would run into the overflow? One half inch below the overflow is a typical value. The point is, does the water continue to run because the fill valve is slow to shut off (water runs down the overflow), or does the water continue to run because the flapper is passing water that the fill valve has to make up for? That will determine which thing you fix.

NeedAdvice

Reaction score
The water level is one inch high in the tank and just slightly below the flapper. A new flapper was installed a few months ago. I hope this helps.

Reach4

Reaction score
How about a photo of the toilet while having the problem including the chain.

It sounds like the new flapper install is defective, but maybe the photo will show something.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the flapper attachment has ears to hold the thing, you should ONLY use them. Some flapper valves have a ring around them that fits on the overflow tube and is ONLY used if there are no ears. IF you use that AND the ears when it has ears, it usually will not seal. In that case, you'd cut out the ring so only the tabs are left to engage the ears. When the handle is in its normal position, there MUST be a slight amount of slack in the chain to it or it may be holding the flapper up off of the seat, and allowing it to leak. If there's excessive amount of chain hanging down, it could be getting caught underneath the flapper...either cut it off or clip in in a loop to keep it out of the way.

If the arm on the flush handle rubs on anything, it may not move freely and the thing could get hung up. Sometimes, a slight bend is required for clearance, or move something.

NeedAdvice

Reaction score
Here's the images. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_9697.JPG
    IMG_9697.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_9696.JPG
    IMG_9696.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 250

Reach4

Reaction score
It looks to me as if something is holding up the left side of the flapper disk next to the overflow tube. You may have the wrong flapper. It could be you could trim what you have to close, or maybe you will need a new one.

It looks like you are using a cellphone to take pictures rather than a regular digital camera. It may be that an in-focus closeup of the area I pointed to with the orange arrow could let somebody know better what the problem and solution would be.
img_2.png
img_2.png

NeedAdvice

Reaction score
It looks to me as if something is holding up the left side of the flapper disk next to the overflow tube. You may have the wrong flapper. It could be you could trim what you have to close, or maybe you will need a new one.

It looks like you are using a cellphone to take pictures rather than a regular digital camera. It may be that an in-focus closeup of the area I pointed to with the orange arrow could let somebody know better what the problem and solution would be.View attachment 29122 View attachment 29122

NeedAdvice

Reaction score
I really appreciate your assistance! I actually did use a digital camera but will retake the photo.

NeedAdvice

Reaction score
Here are the clearer photos. Hope they help!

Attachments

• IMG_9704.JPG
    IMG_9704.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_9702.JPG
    IMG_9702.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 241

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For starters you need to replace the flapper. It looks like the chain is hanging up at the rod and making it too short at times.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would start by attaching that clip holding the chain down to the lower side of the arm rather than the upper side. That is so there is some slack. If necessary, make a different clip that will permit the top of the chain to be lower so there is a little sag in the chain while still pulling up the flapper enough when you flush.

While you still might have to put in a different flapper, the one you put in a month ago may be OK. Until you get some slack in the chain, you will not know for sure.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks