Options to reattach or replace tub spout

Users who are viewing this thread

sheruty

Reaction score
My tub spout came off and I cannot reattach it. It is a diverter spout, but the threads are at the back of the spout and there is only a very small section of pipe protruding from the wall. It is so small and worn that I cannot get the spout to screw back on. I've tried using teflon tape but it won't stay connected once I turn the water on. I cannot find this type of diverter in the stores. Are there replacements to this type, or are these obsolete? What are my options for reattaching, or do I need to hire a plumber to go behind the wall to fix? Photos are provided.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Mills

Reaction score
Looks like that tile was set over the old tile & covered most of the threads on that spout adapter. Not enough info to give detailed advice. Prolly need a plumber...

Last edited:

JGrant

Reaction score
I agree.
There is a pipe nipple back in the wall. You may need an "easy-out" to remove that.
Pick up a new tub spout, and a new nipple and install.
The spout you have is broken.[/QU

Can you look at my video and offer any suggestions? This is at my daughter's Condo built in the 1970s. I think she has the same spout in this thread. No set screw on the spout. There was a slight crack at the bottom so I carefully chiseled and removed the spout to reveal the plastic piece you see.

I suspect that I can take a channel lock and unscrew it but wanted someones opinion that knows what he is doing so I don't flood the house. I can't tell from the pics. Is the plastic threaded to a copper nipple. What size?

Link is below...........

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Remove the adapter then either screw a new spout to that thread or use a coupling to extend the pipe depending on which type spout you get, but get a metal spout, not a plastic one or one with a plastic internal piece.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks