Any restrictions around gas meters?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Over the years owners in my condo complex have had occasional damage to their a/c units and some close calls to their gas meters from falling ice (the complex next to use had a fire and small explosion this year as the result of falling ice and breaking a gas meter). As a result, I requested permission to build a small protective roof over my items. Are there any restrictions on how much room is required above the gas meter? I can't go too high otherwise it would block the biaxial exhaust/supply vent for the furnace. Just how much room is enough?

I'm trying to avoid issues with the building inspector and to determine if it's possible at all and maintain any required clearances. As planned, you would have free access to the shutoff and be able to read the meter. I'm guessing that there would be maybe a foot above the meter and piping to the bottom of the roof structure. FWIW, the condo wants the thing to be seasonal, but I'm hoping once they see it, they'll allow it all year. As a result, though, it would be designed to be removed fairly quickly.

Forum s/w won't let me edit the typo in the title...hate this keyboard, seems to drop characters sometimes!

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
As long as it is not enclosed I see no reason you could not do that.

How you got by venting your furnace near the meter may be in question.

Good Luck on your project.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I've made some progress on this, and think I have a design. Our small city requires a building permit, so the design will go through them for verification and approval, then the final inspection. Not overjoyed with that requirement, but you have to do what you have to do!

To be removable, I need some way to attach the 4x4 posts to the concrete slab. I was thinking lag shields, but was wondering if anyone has had any luck using Tapcons when you had to remove and then reattach something. As currently planned, the posts would sit on a composite standoff on the asphalt, and be bolted into the side of the cement slab. There isn't room on the top to install an anchor (would be too close to the edges), but I can get enough distance to prevent cracking the slab if I go in from the front edge (all of the anchors I've seen that would sit on the slab require the fastener to be at least 3.5" from the edge, and there's not enough room). Do they work, or do they tear up the hole on the subsequent tries and prevent it from holding? Want something that is somewhat corrosion resistant, and you can find galvanized lag bolts and sometimes in SS, which would work into the lag shields, but want to know my options.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would not use Tapcons where you have to remove and reinsert.

You can set threaded studs into the concrete.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
That's the way I was leaning...I've used Tapcons, but not really tried to insert and remove them more than a couple of times. I don't want studs sticking out while the roof assembly and legs need to be removed during the summer (I'm hoping to be allowed to leave it up all year, but right now, a condition for approval is to remove it after the winter), so probably will go with lag shields and lag bolts. Being required to remove it after the winter puts some design issues on the structure - it needs to be a bit more robust from the repeated handling, but I'm dealing with it.

Reach4

Reaction score
That's the way I was leaning...I've used Tapcons, but not really tried to insert and remove them more than a couple of times. I don't want studs sticking out while the roof assembly and legs need to be removed during the summer (I'm hoping to be allowed to leave it up all year, but right now, a condition for approval is to remove it after the winter), so probably will go with lag shields and lag bolts. Being required to remove it after the winter puts some design issues on the structure - it needs to be a bit more robust from the repeated handling, but I'm dealing with it.
I presume there are fasteners that put a reusable female thread into the concrete. In the summer you would want to protect the threads from dirt. Maybe with a foam plug. Maybe a bolt.

DonL

Reaction score
Sounds like a PITA to have to take it down and put it up.

When I lived up north we uses Awnings.

They are good to protect when ice comes down from above, but don't provide protection from snow drifts.

Had to have them, just to be able to open a door or window safely.

I do not miss those days at all.

Good Luck on your project.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Sounds like a PITA to have to take it down and put it up.

When I lived up north we uses Awnings.
One of the joys of a home owners association...

Some of the ice we had this past (and some others over the years) would have easily taken out any awning you might think of putting up...it poked a hole in some wood siding and compressed the steel case of at least one a/c compressor by 6"! We ended up spending over $56K on snow and ice removal over 60 units in the complex this past winter. As I said, the complex next to us, some ice fell, causing a gas leak at a meter which started a fire. Just trying to protect myself from that sort of issue. In a way, one might say I'm lucky that they let me do it in the first place.

DonL

Reaction score
I do not think I could ever live where there is a HOA anymore.

I lived in a condo when I moved to Texas, Just because it was close to work.

The nice thing about it was they had someone fix everything, Even tho they did a piss poor job at times.

I was at work most of the time and had no time to mow grass so maintenance was nice, At a High price in Fees.

I got tired of the water being shut off, and everyone ran from Hurricanes. What a bunch of wimps.

I have fresh air in the country now, With wildlife and land, And the only one that tells me what I can and can not do, Is the Sheriff.

Well, Not counting my wife, Or the Tax Man.

Good Luck, You are living the high life, That is good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks