Bad Plumbing Job?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cleichter

Reaction score
Had some reno work done on the kitchen and bath, and suspect some things were not done right. The second guy who came in said he would have to redo it--didn't meet code, but I'm not sure why. Can anyone give me their thoughts?
Here's a photo of the kitchen plumbing, and bathroom plumbing. I know the bathroom plumbing shot is pretty bad...

Bathroom Plumbing and Shower membrane - 8 of 9.jpg
P1020332.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I suggest that you wipe down the kitchen pipes and fittings with a damp cloth and re-take that photo. It kinda looks like you have an odd mix of copper and galvanized.

Cleichter

Reaction score
I suggest that you wipe down the kitchen pipes and fittings with a damp cloth and re-take that photo. It kinda looks like you have an odd mix of copper and galvanized.
It is a mix--the original pipes are probably from when the building was built in the 1920s--the copper pipe is new from what the guy did.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is this copper, galvanized elbow, and back to copper? Freaky.
img_3.GIF

Cleichter

Reaction score
Some plumbers think ANY JOB they did not do is improper, so what is his problem with yours, specifically?
I think it's not following code--pipes not attached to structure, no separate shut-off for shower, main shut-offs not adjacent to riser. Second main shut-off (left of toilet) has red handle but is the cold. Toilet supply was supposed to be 8 inches to left of flange.

In the kitchen I think pipes also are not attached, and the wrong fitting was used between the new copper and old pipe. I think also there was something about new supply being reduced and not being able to supply enough for sink, DW, and W/D.

New guy is licensed master...old guy was unlicensed.

Reach4

Reaction score
Forget about the red handle. It would have been better if the shutoff valves were quarter-turn ball valves for longest reliable operation, but those you have should last more than 20 years without maintenance.

At least some of your other stuff seems to have merit to me. I am not a plumber.

No new kitchen picture without the dust covering?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
qute; no separate shut-off for shower, main shut-offs not adjacent to riser. Second main shut-off (left of toilet) has red handle but is the cold. Toilet supply was supposed to be 8 inches to left of flange.

NONE of those are "code issues". If there were a code issue it might be that those two valves appear to be "globe valves" rather than gate valves, (I would not even have put them there where they have to "stick out" of the wall), but even that is not a "requirement' other than for the main valve to the building and the water heater.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks