DWV Check For Upstairs Laundry

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY Lemon

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I was hoping for someone to look over my diagram for a second floor laundry closet. I have researched this forum and multiple online sources to determine what I need to do. I live in Washington State (UPC).

I am in the process of moving the laundry upstairs from a utility room on the main floor (concrete slab). I would like to have a floor drain in the new location (a bit of a contentious subject I understand). The floor drain would have a trap primer connected. The stacked washer dryer units would sit in a pan that would be plumbed to the floor drain.

I would be able to connect the drain lines right back into the original washer standpipe location on the main floor (outlet box and p-trap removed). I would be running 2" pipe all throughout and the original standpipe and drain line (up to the stack) is sized in 2" as well. If I am missing any critical information please let me know.

The attached drawing isn't super detailed but I am aware of slope requirements, trap arm distance, standpipe height, etc.

Thanks!

IMG_0060.JPG

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The vent take-off for the floor drain should be a wye, but other than that it looks fine. Use care to keep your washer standpipe height and trap distance from floor within the allowed measurements.

DIY Lemon

Reaction score
The vent take-off for the floor drain should be a wye, but other than that it looks fine. Use care to keep your washer standpipe height and trap distance from floor within the allowed measurements.

Just for my own understanding, would a wye be used because the san-t is placed on its back and would be in violation of code or best practice? Thank you very much for taking the time to look it over!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Just for my own understanding, would a wye be used because the san-t is placed on its back and would be in violation of code or best practice? Thank you very much for taking the time to look it over!

Yes. If the fitting were vertical, it would be a santee. On it's back, they want a combo, wye with 45, or a tee-wye. Basicly a wye.

DIY Lemon

Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old post. I am just now getting to the installation of the upstairs laundry. After removing some drywall to access the plumbing I found a potential issue with my laundry relocation to the second floor.

The original washer drain line, a sink, and toilet (all contained in the first floor half bath / utility room) share the same drain / vent stack.

According to Bert Polk's plumbing tips "the toilet vent cannot be used as a drain for fixtures on the second floor of the building".

My original plan was to simply remove the washing machine outlet box and p-trap on the first floor and connect the drain line from the upstairs laundry back into the existing drain line.

Perhaps I am overthinking this but I want to make sure it's done correctly.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes, the vent for the downstaird bath can't be used as a waste line for fixtures above.

If you are moving the washer from downstairs to the upstairs, and it's waste from the second floor to the original washer location, keeping it all waste, you're fine.

The vent for downstairs goes up a vent.
The waste from above stays waste all the way down.
The two vents can tie together on the second floor at 42" above that floor.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks