Replacing CI and galvanized

Users who are viewing this thread

bondobob

Reaction score
Im in the process of replacing the cast iron main line and all the rest of galvanized waste lines. I have a vented lavatory, with a tub that connects about 1 ft downstream. Then goes to main. Can I replace this setup identical (other than useing wyes insteat of tees) and be to modern code?
1429924637122.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Im in the process of replacing the cast iron main line and all the rest of galvanized waste lines. I have a vented lavatory, with a tub that connects about 1 ft downstream. Then goes to main. Can I replace this setup identical (other than useing wyes insteat of tees) and be to modern code?View attachment 29015

Use a wye fitting with cleanout under the lav, and a wye for the tub.
If you look farther down the line to where it connects to cast, often it's a 2" hub with the 1.5" pipe leaded into the hub.
I sometimes, when I'm feeling like it, will remove that and using a rubber Fernco insert install a 2" pipe.
Normally if done from scratch, you would have 2" there.

bondobob

Reaction score
So I need to use 2" pipe from the tub to the main? Im tearing it all out, including the vent through the roof.

Attachments

• 1430441802165.jpg
    1430441802165.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 299

bondobob

Reaction score
Sounds good. I also currently have a kitchen sink on 1.5 and a sump on 1.5 running together. I was thinking I need to use a 4x3 wye at the main. Run a short 3" branch with seperate wyes. Probably 2 for sump and 1.5 for kitchen?

bondobob

Reaction score
Alright ive gotten the outside part done this weekend. can I use a "vent" 90º at the lav. Drain like pictured, or do I need to use a sanitary tee going down (yellow) 90 sweep, notch wall sanitee. 1.5 vent and 2 drain/wet vent
2015-05-05 12.45.33.png

bondobob

Reaction score
I understand that I can mirror this, however I have to do this to code I am going to be inspected by the county. I just want to do it one time. Thanks

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score

bondobob

Reaction score
Smooky- that sweep/ drain is notched on the other side of the wall. I would like to still have a finished look with a trap adapter and a cover.
Im not changing the height. Where the current elbow is would be a sani-tee going down, a cap on top. Go down 6" or so sweep to the right then sani-t to vent/ drain.
I apologize for some of the stupid/obvious questions. I dont want to tear out the other wall if I dont have to.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The drain in the wall cannot drop vertically unless you use a sanitary tee and re-vent back too the stack. You can duplicate the original piping, but cannot use a vent 90.

bondobob

Reaction score
This is what I have so far. The 3 inch throught the floor is toilet and vent will be 2 ft behind that. Is this acceptable or completely rediculous?
20150518_131506.jpg

bondobob

Reaction score
A few connections left riser on left is toilet. Riser on right is vent. To the right of the vent is lav. and tub. Kitchen is upstream on 3" branch and sump is closest to wall. Hope all is good
20150520_213339.jpg
inspector coming out tomorrow.

Reach4

Reaction score
I suspect that you should have more supports.

What are the cleanout plugs? I am not seeing what I expected there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks