Legato toilet and 400S washlet

Users who are viewing this thread

sls642

Reaction score
I have a Toto Legato toilet installed in a bathroom. I also have a 400s washlet that I intended to use with it. When the plumber came to install the washlet, he said it was missing the kit to make the toilet flush automatically. Called Toto and they said I needed a flush kit which I also purchased.

When the kit arrived, it didn't list the Legato as a model it would work with, so I called Toto since they had given me the info on ordering this part. When questioned, they said the kit was not made to fit a Legato toilet. When I asked if it was worth trying to see if it would work or if it could be modified to work, they couldn't give me an answer.

Does anyone have any info about my problem? Is there any way this automatic flush feature can be made to work with my toilet or am I just going to waste my time and money trying?

Thanks for any help

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
legato_inside_tank.jpg

Looking inside the Legato tank.
I would think that the kit should work. It's the same parts inside as for the Ultramax.
The kit replaces the trip lever.

Last edited:

sls642

Reaction score
legato_inside_tank.jpg

Looking inside the Legato tank.
I would think that the kit should work. It's the same parts inside as for the Ultramax.
The kit replaces the trip lever.

Thanks so much for the quick reply. Toto told me the 400s was made for a Gmax type toilet and not a double cyclone like the Legato. But then they said they had never tested the automatic flush on a double cyclone.

My flush kit includes a new flapper that looks a lot like the existing one. Do you think it is worth getting a plumber to try and see if it works? I bought the 400s primarily for the automatic flush, so it's a truly aggravating if it doesn't. And Toto hasn't been particularly helpful since they told me to buy this specific kit then said after I bought it, they didn't know if it would work.

Don't know anything about toilets and plumbing. Bought the Toto after reading reviews and especially, your forum which was incredibly helpful. Toto offers the adapter to fit my older house which has 14" rough ins. Plus, their toilets were great looking. Just never thought I would have this problem with an expensive washlet.

I am female, 66 years old and disabled so I can't do any of the work myself. Thanks again.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
cst854_inside_tank.jpg

TOTO Ultramax

legato_inside_tank.jpg

TOTO Legato

What do you guys think? It should work, right?

The Double Cyclone has no problem flushing with 1.6 gallons.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I believe the double cyclone Legato I have installed is 1.28 gallons not 1.6 gallons. Would that make a difference?

No. It just might use a little more water. Or it might not. Regardless, what it will do is flush.

sls642

Reaction score
No. It just might use a little more water. Or it might not. Regardless, what it will do is flush.

Thanks guys. The red GMax flapper that came with the flush kit looks almost the same to me as the red flapper in my Legato double cyclone. The only difference I can see is the Legato flapper has a number "5" stamped on it , whatever that is. Also, the Toto instructions mention a possible blue flapper as well. No idea what that is.

Do you think I should have the plumber (assuming I can find someone who knows what they are doing) switch to the Gmax flapper or leave the existing one in place and try the installation initially that way? Will this eventually be able to be programmed to work with my flush feature on the remote?

Truly appreciate your time and expertise. I live in a city where no one seems to know what I am talking about. One plumber even suggested I stick to Lowe's.

cyclone.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you think I should have the plumber (assuming I can find someone who knows what they are doing) switch to the Gmax flapper or leave the existing one in place and try the installation initially that way? Will this eventually be able to be programmed to work with my flush feature on the remote?

What is this?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would try it with what you have first.
I think you are over thinking this. I've installed the kit before, and it's not a big deal to do.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Ma'am. You are overthinking this. Stop already. Stop thinking about it. Stop talking to people. All you will get is bad advice from idiots.

You have the Legato already, no? Don't mess with it. What is in there is fine. Take the autoflush stuff that comes with the seat and give it to whomever will install it and tell them to install it just like they would on a Drake II. Have them follow the directions. Many plumbers don't like to read. It's a fact. That's how most stuff they mess up gets messed up. Just give him the instructions and tell him to follow them. Or get a really-good handyman who will actually read directions to do it. Or private message me as to where you are and I will personally look for someone with a clue in your area. This is no big deal. I could do it in a minimal amount of time, as could 3/4 of the Do It Yourselfers on our forum.

It's gonna turn out great.

PS Except for the heavy lifting, I guarantee you that with a little help from us, you could even do this yourself. It would take a while and you would be doing some unfamiliar things, and there would be some moments where you wondered why you had tried it yourself, but at 66 years young, it isn't something out of your league at all. Really. There are so many things in this area that a plumber can do in two minutes that would take us a half-hour with a lot of thinking, but we can still do it. I'm not suggesting that you do it yourself, but I am suggesting that it's really a lot less magic than a lot of folks have been conditioned to think that it is. If I could learn to do this stuff as well and easily as I do it now, anyone can. They just have to read the directions.

Last edited:

sls642

Reaction score
Ma'am. You are overthinking this. Stop already. Stop thinking about it. Stop talking to people. All you will get is bad advice from idiots.

You have the Legato already, no? Don't mess with it. What is in there is fine. Take the autoflush stuff that comes with the seat and give it to whomever will install it and tell them to install it just like they would on a Drake II. Have them follow the directions. Many plumbers don't like to read. It's a fact. That's how most stuff they mess up gets messed up. Just give him the instructions and tell him to follow them. Or get a really-good handyman who will actually read directions to do it. Or private message me as to where you are and I will personally look for someone with a clue in your area. This is no big deal. I could do it in a minimal amount of time, as could 3/4 of the Do It Yourselfers on our forum.

It's gonna turn out great.

PS Except for the heavy lifting, I guarantee you that with a little help from us, you could even do this yourself. It would take a while and you would be doing some unfamiliar things, and there would be some moments where you wondered why you had tried it yourself, but at 66 years young, it isn't something out of your league at all. Really. There are so many things in this area that a plumber can do in two minutes that would take us a half-hour with a lot of thinking, but we can still do it. I'm not suggesting that you do it yourself, but I am suggesting that it's really a lot less magic than a lot of folks have been conditioned to think that it is. If I could learn to do this stuff as well and easily as I do it now, anyone can. They just have to read the directions.

sls642

Reaction score
Just got the bill for the installation of the s400 washlet on the Legato (without the auto flush) from my plumber. He was here three hours, mainly reading the manual, and charged me $305.00.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's too bad we are in Seattle and not Florida.
We do these every week. My son installed five Washets in the last week and the week before a TOTO Neorest.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I would call him and ask him to come back and complete the job, including the auto-flush, at no additional charge.

Makes me want to fly down there and do it for you.

$305 isn't an absolutely-awful price, but he should have done the whole job. Did he at least leave you the auto-flush parts? Did he explain why he didn't install the auto-flush? I notice that the basic directions for the washlet just say "install auto flush", which might not have been enough for him.

I want very badly for you to have all the features you expected. Let's see if we can't figure out what needs to be done and then help you to find a way to get it done.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks