Garbage disposal reconnect

Users who are viewing this thread

Pegraham5

Reaction score
First time removing or installing a garbage disposal. Had to get something out of drain so I removed disposal successfully and got it out. Unfortunately I'm having a lot of trouble reconnecting it.

I can't screw the disposal back on because I can't get it up inside the rubber lining again. I'm wondering if the rubber was supposed to come out with it.

I've attached a few pics. As you can probably tell, I haven't done plumbing before but would like to figure this out. The connecter (with the three rings to tighten or loosen) is completely free-standing so nothing is really binding it to the disposal itself. So even if I twist it back on, I'm not sure it'll actually hold up the disposal.

Do I need to further disassemble the drain in order to reconnect it? And if so, should I reapply plumbers putty, replace gaskets, etc.?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,802
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 294

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
index.php

You should be able to spin that back on. They spin off and spin back.
The rubber portion goes back on the disposer and holds the ring with the three circles down. The ring will still pivot.
Then hold the disposer up tightly to the drain basket, and rotate the keeper ring with three circles until it snaps in place toward the end.
You can use a screwdriver on the circles if needed for extra leverage.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
One problem you will probably have is that when a disposer gets that old the rubber seal has expanded and it may be almost impossible to raise the disposer tight enough for the ring to rotate. With the condition of those "anti splash" seals, you would probably be better off in the long run buying a new rubber ring, just be sure to get the one for you model, because while they all "look the same" there are differences.

Pegraham5

Reaction score
One problem you will probably have is that when a disposer gets that old the rubber seal has expanded and it may be almost impossible to raise the disposer tight enough for the ring to rotate. With the condition of those "anti splash" seals, you would probably be better off in the long run buying a new rubber ring, just be sure to get the one for you model, because while they all "look the same" there are differences.
This seems to be the problem. I cannot physically push the disposal close enough to the drain to even start turning the rings.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Well, first you have to remove the rubber ring from the sink, (I don't know how you got it apart in the first place). Then reattach it to the disposer to hold the lower ring to the disposer. THEN push it up and try to turn the ring.

mounting_gasket.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks