Question about PVC well pipe color and suppliers...

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveMitty79

Reaction score
Hey all.

I thought I've seen Charlotte sch80 PVC pipe in white before, but all I can find is grey. Maybe I'm mistaken. Lowe's carries this item in ten feet sections, sch 80 1-1/4" but it's 18.39 a section. Kinda pricey.

Here's my situation. I'm dropping in a 2HP submersible 240' and the rig I'm using can handle ten foot sections, so either I can buy 20 footers and cut and thread them or tens and thread them, unless someone knows where I can buy ten footers already threaded.

Any pointers as to where and what is appreciated.

Steve.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nope, gotta thread it yourself.

No difference between the white and gray, just be sure the gray stuff isn't Carlon.

SteveMitty79

Reaction score
Thanks.

I kept looking and finally found a supplier who'd sell to me. $1.04/ft, white sch 80, 20 footers. $2.58 a coupling, too. I found a used but in very good shape Ridgid 1-1/4" pipe die and handle I plan on getting in the next few days. Things are slowly moving along. No rush though.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Not sure what couplings you priced, but I would never use plastic couplings at they will always be the weak point in the system. Stainless steel or brass will last forever. The plastic coupling cracks and say goodbye to your well pump.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've never had an issue with sch 120 breaking or splitting. What most people don't comprehend is that you don't wrench up pvc couplings, you run them up tight by hand, over tightening can lead to splitting.

Reach4

Reaction score
I've never had an issue with sch 120 breaking or splitting. What most people don't comprehend is that you don't wrench up pvc couplings, you run them up tight by hand, over tightening can lead to splitting.
Only hand tight? I wouldn't have seen that coming. I am thinking the stainless couplers would require less practice to get the torque right.

Any compound? IIRC they used a compound with a dauber or brush when putting my old PVC, with the new stainless couplers, back into the casing.

SteveMitty79

Reaction score
Not sure what couplings you priced, but I would never use plastic couplings at they will always be the weak point in the system. Stainless steel or brass will last forever. The plastic coupling cracks and say goodbye to your well pump.
I was quoted for sch40 galvanized threaded couplings. I think they look like slicks or pipe protectors, which I know don't have an NPT taper to them. (Which sounds like that's what I want. No. I say that to make sure what I do get is the proper tapered pipe fittings.)

So, I see some prefer putting teflon tape and others none. Which do you prefer? I have a Simple Pump that I've installed and pulled twice to maintain from 220' that uses 1" sch80 PVC threaded bell one end pieces. They recommend tape and I tighten until I hear it pop twice, which is just by feel but seems to keep it in place just fine.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
A little Rector Seal works, even a little plumbers grease to lube up the threads works great.

Yeah, plenty of people question me about tightening sch 80 into sch 120 couplings hand tight. But, mostly they don't have any experience and after I tighten a joint by hand, they need a wrench to loosen it.

In 27 years that I've bern putting sch 80 in the ground, I've never seen it come apart. Seen some split couplings due to over tightening, but even they held until the pump was out.

Reach4

Reaction score
I did a search for what makers say. One search was for "drop pipe" threaded "schedule 80" pvc teflon OR compound
I found contradictory info.

http://www.lascofittings.com/threads does not like teflon tape, but does like a non-hardening sealant. Says "The right way to assemble a threaded PVC joint-Schedule 40 or 80 is finger tight plus one to two turns-no more."

http://www.pipelife-jetstream.com/us/media/threaded.pdf likes teflon tape.

http://www.charlottepipe.com/Documents/Brochures/BR-PK.pdf says "Use Teflon® tape only on plastic pipe threads. Some paste-type thread sealants may contain chemicals that attack PVC, ABS or CPVC."

http://www.water-services.us/pages/WellScreen-Drop Pipe - Large Schedule 80.pdf says
"The use of a quality Teflon® pipe paste sealant approved for pVC is required for leak-tight connections. NOTE: Some oil base pipe joint compounds and/or Teflon pastes contain ingredients that attack PVC piping products. assurances should be obtained from the manufacturer of the thread sealants that long-term tests with either pVC show no deleterious effect"

RectorSeal http://www.rectorseal.com/?s=threaded pvc seems to recommend many of their pipe dope compounds to use on PVC.

I have no conclusion except to figure threaded schedule 80 must be a pretty robust that will work with various methods, and that craigpump has a strong grip.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks