Picking a water softener system

Users who are viewing this thread

andrew caldieraro

Reaction score
I'm considering a water softener for my house. I've never ran any tests on the water coming into my house, so I don't know any specific details. My house is 3000 sq ft. It has 2.5 baths (two showers, two tubs, 6 sinks). I do get "white" spots all in my dishwasher and on dishes and my showers are always pretty "spotty." I've recently had one of my copper pipes spring a leak in my house, so I'm not sure if my water is degrading the copper or what. I do know that I get a white coating inside my copper water pipes. My incoming water pressure is 70 psi. I do use a high efficiency shower head in one of the bathrooms. I'm looking for a water softener system that is: fairly simple, low maintenance, very reliable, not loaded with unneeded "fancy thrills," and adequate for the size of this home. While I do live alone now, I may sell the house in the future so I'd like to get something adequate for the size of this home. I would really like to buy it online from a reputable store (if you have any suggestions, please let me know) and have a local plumber install it. It will be installed in my basement where the water enters my house. Any suggestions on a unit for my needs?
*Incoming copper water pipe size is 1".

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Get the water test info from your water company/city.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Not the most detailed report. As to your copper leak, have you heard of any other neighbors having a similar problem. Most copper leaks are due to poor installation techniques rather than water quality. Bad solder joints, not removing the acid based flux from the copper after installation, poor solder penetration, "cold" joints, and high velocity are just a few of the common causes that have nothing to do with water quality. Chlorine, oxidizers, high temperature combined with velocity, pH, LSI, etc. are common water quality related issues.

andrew caldieraro

Reaction score
Regarding the copper pipe leak, it wasn't at a solder joint. It was in the middle of a pipe. I know type L copper was used in my house. The leak in the copper pipe may have had no relation to the water quality, I can't really say. Do I need more tests to determine which water softener would be best of my house?

Reach4

Reaction score
Not the most detailed report.
You can say that again. No hardness, calcium, magnesium, pH numbers.

Andrew, I would suggest you call the water department and ask about the range of hardness. Also maybe pH out of curiosity as to why your copper pipe might have had a problem. I also suggest you get the Hach 5B test to do your own hardness testing even if they give you a number.

Type L is the medium pipe with the blue stripe.

ditttohead

Reaction score
The plumber that did the repair should have made a wild guess at least as to the cause of the problem. Did he offer any ideas?

andrew caldieraro

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the plumber wasn't really sure what the problem was. He was a fairly young plumber probably in his upper 20s. He said he had not seen this before. I am wondering if it was adefective piece of copper?

ditttohead

Reaction score
"Chinese drywall has received considerable attention in the U.S. as a source of odors, health hazards, and even corrosion of HVAC equipment, electrical wiring, and piping, found in North American homes renovated or built since 2001, and especially in homes built in 2006 and 2007."

Just something to consider. We have been involved with many issues regarding the Chinese drywall issue. Many companies started with trying to blame the water, not the drywall. It was fairly obvious when the copper turned a dark, nearly black color in only a few years on the outside, yet the inside was basically undamaged.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks