Water Company Flushing Water Mains

Users who are viewing this thread

Badsha

Reaction score
My Water Company will be flushing the water mains in my neighborhood. Do I need to worry about anything if I have a Carbon Tank and Water Softener? Worried about the sediment and iron in the water going through my carbon tank and softener.

http://www.gswater.com/flushing-southwest/

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/clack-ws1-water-softener-issues.60189/

Golden State Water is flushing water mains in communities throughout the Southwest District to rid the local water distribution system of sediment and improve water quality for customers.

Most customers will not experience changes in their water during flushing activity. Some customers may experience fluctuations in water pressure and/or the temporary presence of sediment in the water. The condition is temporary and does not pose a health hazard.

Customers are advised not to launder clothes if they notice flushing activity in their neighborhood, iron in the water could stain clothing.

For additional information about the benefits of flushing, please click here.

Please note the following schedule for upcoming flushing in the Southwest District . Unless otherwise noted, flushing activities will take place between 10 pm and 2 pm.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can put both systems on bypass (if installed) until after the flushing if you are worried. Just try not to use any water while they are on bypass. Flush your lines through your hose bibbs after the city has flushed their lines. Remember to place both systems back in service afterwards.

spete112

Reaction score
I would suggest installing a whole house filter before the softener that would help take care of that issue in the future. I do realize many installers do not like to see this however if you are careful and not restricting the water flow change your filter on a regular basis this would work great and help keep everything clean. When I installed mine I did put two preasure gauges one before and one after the filter so I could tell if there is a problem with restriction.

Reach4

Reaction score
There goes lake Mead.

Here is a water conserving idea: Use a pumper truck to pump water between hydrants. Run the water via fire hoses and through a sediment filter, and maybe add some supplemental chlorine. Move to the next pair of hydrants.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Actually, when the lines are flushed in Southern California, the majority of the water goes into the local rivers which a fed into percolation ponds that allow the water to reenter the ground water supply.
upload_2015-4-18_14-4-4.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks