Fluke multimeters

Users who are viewing this thread

Brettster76

Reaction score
Hey wondering if any one out here has exp. with fluke multimeters. I am considering buying the fluke 179. I've heard the 87v is the one to get tho. I need it to do small handy work on outlets and panels. Would like the option for electronics as well. Any thoughts?

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
Fluke used to mean quality, now it just means marketing. I have several old ones. I wouldn't buy a new one. I wouldn't turn someone down who wanted to give me a new one. It's always nice to have a meter in the kitchen drawer for testing AA batteries or loaning to relatives and neighbours.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote: loaning to relatives and neighbours.

THAT will be the day. If they want to test it, I will use my meter, but NEVER loan it, because I would want to get it back, and not broken or burned out. For what you indicate you use it for even the 179 is probably overkill.

Last edited:

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
quote: loaning to relatives and neighbours.

THAT will be the day. If they want to test it, I will use my meter, but NEVER loan it, because I would want to get it back, and not broken or burned out. For what you indicate you use it for even the 179 is probably overkill.
Whether or not you got my point you are helping to make it.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
I'm not talking about loaning out any of my old made in USA Flukes, it's the new ones that I have no use for.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
ANY Fluke is WAY better than most anything else, even new ones. Mostly because the quality of other brands has declined as much or more than Fluke, and newer brands, like that Southwire junk from home centers are complete garbage to begin with.

IMO a 179 or 87 are WAY overkill for any typical home use. Unless you need it for serious electronics use. Any good tester/meter that will do voltage/amperage/resistance/continuity is fine. Personally, I like the T series from Fluke. These have the open jaw amperage function so you can take amperage readings very easily and safely. Don't let the amperage function of a multi-meter fool you, it's not an easy test to setup and most are limited to 10-20A.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks