TT Prestige Solo 110 Growling/Horn noise SOLVED

Users who are viewing this thread

GT3D

Reaction score
Website
www.vietnamjourneys.com
P1100616a.jpg P1100618.jpg P1100620.jpg P1100621.jpg This Prestige Solo 110 was emitting a growling and horn like noise after being in service for 3 years. My plumber was not available for several days and I told him I would troubleshoot to a limited degree. Please note that anyone trying this should always be aware if the power to the boiler is off, the gas is off, there is no gas smell, and that you document your steps.

So, after 3 days of scouring forums and standing in front of the "growling" boiler with no success, I tried one last thing. In looking at the opened boiler you will see a PVC 90* with a vertical extension of about 10". This 90* is attached to the venturi tube. The venturi tube is listed in the Replacement Parts-Burner components of manual. Pull this PVC 90* off the venturi -- it is just a gasket fit and it slides off easily.

Just inside the venturi port is a cone shaped plastic piece sleeved in the venturi tube that narrows the air flow. This piece had fractured so that what was left was: the cone -- the break -- and the rest of this plastic tube going to the venturi. See the pictures.

In this broken state it was hit and miss igniting the boiler -- depending on how the broken and loose cone piece sits in the tube. That is why I could get it to fire and get E-02 error message.

When I pressed the reset and the boiler went through its 5 tries to fire for the ignition sequence. It failed and threw another E-02 error.

I pulled off the PVC 90* and used my finger to pull the cone fragment tight and back into place at the front of the tube. I held it in place while I pressed reset. On the FIRST of five attempts it right fired up. After 30 seconds I released the cone fragment and it was sucked back to the plastic tube it had broken away from. The cone fragment vibrated and gave off the the loud growling noise which diminished after a couple minutes.

I called TT and the tech said that the reason the tube disintegrated (his words) in the first place was from the cross contamination of the in and out vents mixing. This contaminated mix was being drawn back into the venturi and was caustic enough to disintegrate this plastic piece over time. I forgot to ask whether that was a safety feature to alert one to the bad venting problem.

The fix is to order PSRKIT-81. This can be found with a Google of: "triangle tube prestige solo 110 psrkit81". Until the part arrives I can fire the boiler long enough to shower. This boiler sits in an area that is extremely well ventilated. I would not recommend running this temporary fix in a more confined area because of the CO2 danger for a longer period without extreme monitoring.

Also, if the venting problem is not fixed then it will happen again. The venting was installed using Tinstructions and the concentric vent unit. This never seemed like a good design from the beginning so I will be removing it. I will then have the exhaust going out to one side of the house and the intake to another side. Then my plumber will do the necessary combustion checks, etc.

During this 3 days of troubleshooting, I had initially thought it was the igniter and spent hours removing it, cleaning it, checking the gap, and reinstalling. I did have an igniter problem and is a separate issue. I will created another thread with the title, "TT Prestige Solo 110 Ignitor Problem SOLVED"

Reaction score
Thanks, I have a Solo 60 (many components are the same as 110).

I couldn't fix a fog horn sound after ignition when modulating at the minimum fire. (got an E02 error about 10% of time)

The fix: now it only fires on high to heat my DHW / Buffer tank. System pulls heat out of tank.

E02 errors are rare now & I have power to unit on a timer that powers it off & back on every 3 hrs. This resets an E02 if it did occur.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks