Fleck 7000SXT fine tuning

Users who are viewing this thread

Phanman

Reaction score
Hi,

I setup my new Fleck 7000 SXT 64,000 grain capacity a couple weeks ago and all is working well. No leaks!!!
I was hoping to get some help fine tuning the settings on it to maximizing water and salt consumption.
  • 2 adults, 1 toddler (expecting try for another child next year)
  • 2.5 bathroom (ensuite has 2 rain shower heads, 2 wall shower heads)
  • Steam generator (for ensuite shower)
  • washer machine
  • dishwasher
  • City water, Avg of 11.76 water hardness based on city website
  • Iron <0.050 based on city website
  • Magnesium 10-22 mg/l based on city website
  • I would say 80 gal of water/person/day as wife likes to take 20-30min showers, toddler doesnt use much yet.
  • Brine Tank Dimensions: 15" X 17" X 36"
  • KDF-55 chlorine removal attached in the brine tank.
  • DLFC = 5.0 gpm
  • BLFC part # 61454-0 red (this includes the injector)
I understand I wont get really dialed in until I get a hach 5-b test kit, but until then some help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Reach4

Reaction score
Here is a try:
img_3.GIF

Note the comp factor was discussed in https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?posts/450189/
A lot of people have set up units without that factor, and they seem to be happy. So maybe you could round down for C -- especially since you will do testing. I kinda wonder if the compensation would be better applied to C rather than H because C has more resolution/granularity as a percent of the number.

Also note the RC= 240 gallons. That would be how many gallons to hold in reserve for the last day. There again, you might want to tweak that.

With chlorinated water, expect iron to be zero by the time it gets to your house.

Ditttohead might want to comment on Bd, or others. I am plugging in mostly numbers I have seen him use before, and I may well have missed differences.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
No need to complicate it. Keep the basic settings, and simply use less water in the house. I just checked my current water usage in my household of 3 girls, a wife and myself and we are averaging less than 20 Gallons per person per day including daily showers. This type of water usage is easily accomplished by installing higly efficient equipment throughout the house. We have replaced all of our faucets with sensored faucets, ultra low flush toilets, and our RO system uses a permeate pump of course. This wil go a lot farther than saving 10 gallons or 1 regeneration a year by tweaking your softener continuously. All that being said, change the RS to CR, this will be the most efficient setting.

Reach4

Reaction score
All that being said, change the RS to CR, this will be the most efficient setting.
It seems harder to select a percent as a reserve vs gallons as a reserve.

As an equivalent alternative to RS=rc and SF=240, you could choose
RS=SF and SF= 7.70% (select to 7% or 8% due to granularity)
if I computed correctly.

I compute each regeneration would last 12.98 days assuming each day uses 240 gallons. This ignores the effect of reserve.

I think if SF is 15% that would be equivalent to RC=467 gallons. (Disclaimer continues.)

Last edited:

Phanman

Reaction score
Thanks for setting advice guys.

When you say keep the basic settings are you referring to out of the box settings? I'll give the settings above a try tonight.

Cheers,

ditttohead

Reaction score
1: set time to 12:01 P.M.
2: push “regen” button and release
3: push and hold ^ v buttons for 7 seconds to enter master program mode
Push “regen” button and release between each step to get to next step
4: DF set to Gal,
5: VT set to dF2b,

6: CT set to Fd
7: C Set to 48.0

8: H set to actual hardness
9: RS set to cr

110 DO set 21
11: RT set to 2:00
13: B1 set to 5
14: BD set to 60
15: B2 set to 3
16: RR set to 5
17: BF set to 22 for .25 BLFC, 44 for .125 BLFC
18: FM set to t1.2

Reach4

Reaction score
Ahh... That sounds easier. I was confusing rs and cr.

When you use RS set to cr, I read that the softener tracks recent use and determines a reserve amount based on the average experience. However the manual I have says
"10. Variable Reserve (Display Code CR)
Press the Extra Cycle button. This setting is for a variable reserve. Variable reserve refils the brine tank based on gallon volume remaining when the unit starts regeneration."
Press the Extra Cycle button. This setting is for a variable reserve. Variable reserve refils the brine tank based on gallon volume remaining when the unit starts regeneration."​
That would seem to be a description of variable brining and that would involve "Down Flow Fill First" I think. I suspect that my Rev. D 1/06/10 version of the 7000SXT service manual has an error, and probably I should get a newer one.

If you set CR to something other than 0, what would that do?

Edit: I have downloaded version F of the manual. It says
10.Variable Reserve (Display Code CR) Press the Extra Cycle button. This setting is for a variable reserve. Variable reserve refills the brine tank based on gallon volume remaining when the unit starts regeneration.
That does fix the spelling error, and it is better otherwise too. I think they should not have mentioned filling the brine tank, and instead say they they should have said that it figures when to trigger regeneration based on experience. I would guess that CR=10 would regenerate 10 gallons earlier than the variable calculation would have called for. Did I guess right?

Last edited:

ditttohead

Reaction score
Ignore the manual, it is a reserve capacity setting, not a variable refill. The wonders of "cut and paste".

Simple algorithm, Daily reserve with a 10% maximum daily change in the reserve. You can not adjust the CR, it is an automated adjustable reserve setting.

AlexF

Reaction score
Hello Dittohead,

does injector size have any bearing on the regen times? I have the same system as above with a high flow piston and #3 injector.

Also, I saw your post from couple years ago for the same system and B1, B2 and RR times are a little less now - is that from experience?

Thanks,
Alex

ditttohead

Reaction score
B1 is not that critical except in dirty water applications where longer backwashes are preferred, B2 is a blending backwash that give you better quality water especially in lower salting applications, it is not needed but... again, 3-10 minutes, it is unlikely anyone would notice the difference.

The injector would determine the brine draw time only, you can set this fairly accurately by simply starting a regeneration, when it goes into the brine draw cycle, time the draw until all the water is removed from the brine tank and the air check seats, and x4 for the total BR time. This is not perfect but close enough. Smaller injectors tend to give slightly higher efficiencies but longer regeneration times. Both use the same amount of water if they are programmed accurately. My systems BR time is almost 2 hours long, no affect on system performance, just slightly higher efficiency. Again, it is unlikely anyone would be able to tell the difference between the two.

AlexF

Reaction score
B1 is not that critical except in dirty water applications where longer backwashes are preferred, B2 is a blending backwash that give you better quality water especially in lower salting applications, it is not needed but... again, 3-10 minutes, it is unlikely anyone would notice the difference.

The injector would determine the brine draw time only, you can set this fairly accurately by simply starting a regeneration, when it goes into the brine draw cycle, time the draw until all the water is removed from the brine tank and the air check seats, and x4 for the total BR time. This is not perfect but close enough. Smaller injectors tend to give slightly higher efficiencies but longer regeneration times. Both use the same amount of water if they are programmed accurately. My systems BR time is almost 2 hours long, no affect on system performance, just slightly higher efficiency. Again, it is unlikely anyone would be able to tell the difference between the two.
Thank you!

So Brine Fill stays at 22? Manufacturer recommended Capacity set at 64,000 and BF at 19 minutes. I saw some one recommend C at 40,000 for efficiency. It appears to be fluid number. 48,000 seems like a good compromise to me.

AlexF

Reaction score
BLFC says .25. Injector says 0, but the maker web site states that they use #3. I confirmed #3 via e-mail as well. Not sure how easy it is to get to the injector to validate.
Fleck 7000STX sticker.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Nice picture. So with BFLC=0.25 into 2 cuft of resin, C=48.0 BF=22 or C=40.0 BF=16 both should work well.

C=64.0 BF=19 would not work well at all with BFLC=0.25 .

Reach4

Reaction score
Monitor your salt usage. With BF=22 you should be using about 16.5 pounds of salt for each regen. If you find you are using about twice that, that would tell you that the seller changed the BLFC to 0.5 without modifying the label. Now why would I suspect that as a possibility? That is the only way C=64.0 BF=19 would come close to making sense.

Reach4

Reaction score
Ok, will check with the seller. Thanks!
See https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/fleck-7000sxt-bflc-mislabeled.60479/

If there is doubt after the call, you could look at the BLFC. (Edit: incorrect image removed)
You could alternatively measure how much water gets injected into the brine tank during a refill.
  1. You could do that with math (figuring maybe salt pellets take what I would guess to be half or 60% of the volume??? -- I'll bet somebody has a better estimate.)
  2. You could stop the unit after brine draw, and see how much water you have to pour in to bring up the water to the same level that the brine fill.
  3. You could put a different hose on the brine fitting and measure how much water comes out during brine fill
My comments are not based on experience.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Reaction score
#3? Too big, not sure why they would use that large of an injector. It will work fine, but the brine draw will be very fast. A #3 injector has a draw rate of approximately .65 GPM, this would drain your salt tank of brine in about 8 minutes, this should be closer to 15 minutes. You can confirm this easily by putting the system into a regeneration and timing it. Same for the flow control, you can put the system into refill and time how long the brine fills a gallon, 4 minutes if the flow control matches the valve label.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks