Tub spout that has no plastic?

Users who are viewing this thread

newowner

Homeowner
Reaction score
I was going to replace my plumbing with the Delta Ara style. I am not happy with how lightweight and flimsy the tub spout is. I have no idea what type of metal this is and I don't like how I see plastic inside. Does anyone make a tub spout (preferably in brushed nickel) that is actually metal and sturdy?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Last time I looked for a tub spout, Delta had what looked like the same spout in (mostly) plastic and one in (mostly) all metal, your choice...your pocketbook. THe all-metal one was about 3x more expensive (at least at retail).

newowner

Homeowner
Reaction score
I contacted Delta to ask them if they have ANY tub spouts without plastic, so I will wait to see what they say. Their website only has one version of the Ara tub spout in closed channel and only one in the open channel (trough) style. I don't even care if my tub spout is Delta, I just don't want a plastic interior. I will have to look inside the current chrome one when it is removed, and if it's metal I may have to reuse it even though everything else will be brushed nickel.

newowner

Homeowner
Reaction score
I got a response from Delta. The rep said they do not sell any metal tub spouts that attach to an adapter but "We do offer a Metal spout that slips onto the pipe coming out of the wall, the part number is RP48718SS."

So now my complete lack of plumbing knowledge rears its ugly head again because I have no idea if I need a spout that slips on or attaches to an adapter. I was just buying all my fixtures in advance of a hall bath remodel. If my current tub spout is attached to an adapter, does that mean I can't use a slip on kind and vice versa? Can I easily determine what kind of spout I have now? Is there a preferred type of spout?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A slip-on spout relies on internal O-rings to make the seal to the pipe and a set screw to hold it in place. If your pipe is long enough for that to engage AND is not scratched or dinged up, OR you can replace the pipe, you can use that type. Assuming the existing adapter is soldered on or the pipe is long enough, you could either just cut it off or remove the adapter and wipe the pipe free of solder carefully while still molton, then a quick polish, and it should work.

newowner

Homeowner
Reaction score
The underside of my current tub spout has a screw, so it must be the slip-on kind. Is one type of tub spout better at being leak-free than the other?

Which would you choose [keeping in mind that I am just changing fixtures in the combo shower/tub which has a plastic (or fiberglass?) surround]:

1. Keep the flimsy feeling Delta Ara spout ( RP75435SS) with plastic internal parts that will require me to add an adapter to my pipe?
Or
2. Buy the all metal slip-on tub spout (RP48718SS) that isn't as stylish but should fit with no changes as long as my pipe is not scratched upon removing current slip-on spout?

Also, does the Ara spout have plastic instead of brass to prevent lead in your bath water?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks