Backflow and PRV (some questions on correct way, replacement, etc.), winter damage

Users who are viewing this thread

cinderbike

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Bought a house on short sale last year, finally getting around to fixing the sprinkler system. The house has a PVB and PRV, and it looks like the PRV froze and the regulator body cracked. Suffice to say, I have not been able to turn on the sprinkler system, check for leaks, etc., for as soon as I turn on the irrigation shut-off valve, water sprays out the side instead of going up-stream.

The way the system was installed, the water flows from the street meter, to the irrigation shut-off, then through the PRV and THEN into the backflow and then to the sprinkler/drip system. My hunch is that since there was no way to drain/bleed the PRV water stayed in it over winter and it simply cracked.

Now, fast forward from several hours of research and I have seen opinions several ways on how to handle this. Since it was a short sale I have no idea when/why the PRV was installed, so I have several options:

1. Replace PRV with straight pipe, possibly add high pressure sprinkler heads and/or drip irrigation pressure regulator(s)
2. Replace PRV in same spot (perhaps add drain before PRV)
3. Replace PRV downstream of backflow device (shut-off > PVB > PRV)

Opinions? Thanks. Here's a pic of the cracked PRV:
IMG_1102.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What is the pressure from the meter?
That's where you start.

What part of California are you in that it's freezing?
Here in Washington State on the West side we need 24" of cover over the pipes. What you had wouldn't last a day where I am.
UPC code, ( California ) requires a pressure reducer on pressure over 80 PSI

cinderbike

Reaction score
How do I measure pressure at the source? Meter only seems to show flow/gallons used.

PS: Location is out of date, I live in NV.

cinderbike

Reaction score
Ok, got it figured out, attached a PSI gauge to the union joint to get static PSI right from the main irrigation shut off... it's ~90psi.

I assume that means I'll need a PRV? Sprinklers mist like crazy and none of the control valves have flow control.

A couple other questions:

When I turn it fully on to test the PSI, the shut-off appeared to be dripping, about 1 drip every 10 seconds or so. I didn't leave it on to see if it would stop itself or keep going.

Last, when I shut off the valve, the pipe between the irrigation shut off and the backflow (or in this case, PSI meter) drains back out into the hole the shut off is in (it's in a 4" wide tube about 3 feet below ground)... and it also seemed a bit of water 'sprayed' from the shut off.

It's one of those 1/4 turn valves like the main city valves use if that helps... would prefer not to have to replace it as it is probably quite $$$ to dig it out.

EDIT - So it sounds most likely that what I have in there is a stop-and-waste valve, and the draining in normal. I assume the drip means I didn't open it fully and a little bit of water is leaking out of the drain port? Pic of valve:
IMG_1142.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks