Cut pipe behind backflow preventer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Magicalpig

Reaction score
I have to make some changes on the hot water pipe going from my water heater into my boiler. In the interest of not having to empty the boiler, I'm wondering if I can cut the pipe somewhere behind the backflow preventer that's between the two appliances. Will the backflow preventer keep all the contents of the boiler from rushing out where I make the cut??

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have to make some changes on the hot water pipe going from my water heater into my boiler. In the interest of not having to empty the boiler, I'm wondering if I can cut the pipe somewhere behind the backflow preventer that's between the two appliances. Will the backflow preventer keep all the contents of the boiler from rushing out where I make the cut??

I would not count on that. If the backflow is combined with a shutoff, maybe.

Magicalpig

Reaction score
it's a Watts 9D-M3 and I don't have any shutoffs downstream of it. It's on a pipe that connects the boiler to my water heater's hot output. I need to add some height to this pipe because I'm changing my short water heater for a tall one.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The boiler heating loop and your potable water SHOULD NOT be able to cross-contaminate (i.e., boiler water should never be able to get back to the potable water). If you find that it does, it needs service NOW.

Magicalpig

Reaction score
I understand if you can't give me a definitive answer. There's a chance I'll have to drain the boiler out anyway if I end up changing a kickspace heater to use monoflow tees, depending on how people respond to another thread of mine.

Thanks, all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks