Richmond XR90 issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Roso

Reaction score
I purchased an XR 90 29 gallon power vent water heater and installed it about three months ago. It was installed per the directions with proper venting. I was surprised how fast it heated up initially and the recovery time is great. However, it continues to trip a 6-3 code indicating the flame is lost. It trips the code about once per day. Richmond has sent several new parts including a gas valve, blower assembly, and ignition assembly. None of these parts fixed the problem. I'm extremely frustrated to say the least!! I spent the extra money for a higher quality unit. The store where I purchased it is two hours away and they will only exchange the unit.

They emailed a more detailed troubleshooting guide recently. I noticed there were problems early on with burner assemblies but this didn't apply to mine. I measured the distance between the pilot assembly and burner and found it was about 1/2 inch off spec on the two points. I bent the pilot assembly closer to the burner and it' close to spec but i don't want to break the weld. It has been about one day and no issues yet...

Has anyone had similar issues?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cloquet

Reaction score
I purchased an xr 90 29 gallon power vent water heater and installed it about three months ago. It was installed per the directions with proper venting. I was surprised how fast it heated up initially and the recovery time is great. However, it continues to trip a 6-3 code indicating the flame is lost. It trips the code about once per day. Richmond has sent several new parts including a gas valve, blower assembly, and ignition assembly. None of these parts fixed the problem. I'm extremely frustrated to say the least!! I spent the extra money for a higher quality unit. The store where I purchased it is two hours away and they will only exchange the unit.

They emailed a more detailed troubleshooting guide recently. I noticed there were problems early on with burner assemblies but this didn't apply to mine. I measured the distance between the pilot assembly and burner and found it was about 1/2 inch off spec on the two points. I bent the pilot assembly closer to the burner and it' close to spec but i don't want to break the weld. It has been about one day and no issues yet...

Has anyone had similar issues?
I am having the same problem. Replaced all that you did. Now rheem is telling me to bring it back to the store for replacement. The thing worked great all winter up till a couple months ago. I don't know. Is your working now that you adjusted the pilot?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks