ADA Bidet Seat

Users who are viewing this thread

sarah Stacey1

Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking for an ADA bidet seat and haven't found anything. Does one exist?

Thank you - Sarah

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't know of a bidet seat that is raised like some of the handicap raised seats you could normally get.
If the existing toilet is low, it might be a good time to replace it with a higher bowl. The cost of a taller bowl, with an added bidet seat would be much less than the all-in-one pictured above.

sarah Stacey1

Reaction score
Hey! Thank you for replying. I can get the toilet that is raised, the issue I'm running into is that the bidet seats aren't ADA compliant because of the control buttons.

Reach4

Reaction score
Hey! Thank you for replying. I can get the toilet that is raised, the issue I'm running into is that the bidet seats aren't ADA compliant because of the control buttons.

Gotcha... Is it a matter of the buttons being hard to reach? Some have a radio remote that you can attach to a nearby cabinet or wall.

Is it because they are complex? There are some very inexpensive bidet attachments that just have a knob off to the side. They don't have the temperature control or blower, but they are very straight-forward. I will send a "conversation" message with an example.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How are they not ADA compliant?
Some seats have an arm that comes out, with a flat panel push pad that can be run using a knuckle.. It doesn't get easier than that.

sarah Stacey1

Reaction score
The way I was told by my plumbing rep is to imagine if you don't have use of your hands and try to press the buttons. I think it would be difficult, that being said, I'm not sure if there is a seat that is compliant.

sarah Stacey1

Reaction score
Gotcha... Is it a matter of the buttons being hard to reach? Some have a radio remote that you can attach to a nearby cabinet or wall.

Is it because they are complex? There are some very inexpensive bidet attachments that just have a knob off to the side. They don't have the temperature control or blower, but they are very straight-forward. I will send a "conversation" message with an example.

It's because the buttons can't be operated by someone with limited use of their hands. Would love to see an option. Please send one over!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
This sounds crazy to me. There are seats whose lids will raise when you approach. There is no ADA requirement, as far as I know, that the thing actually WASH YOU to be ADA compliant, meaning something that you can install in a public facility, only that it not impede you from using the toilet as a traditional toilet. Furnish toilet paper and you will be in exactly the same situation as a facility that has no bidet seat. I can't imagine why that wouldn't be good enough. For goodness sake, a hypothetical person with no hands can't wipe himself, how how would this be worse than that?

But then again, I am sane.

sarah Stacey1

Reaction score
The buttons are the issue, someone who can't use their hands (like the person I'm searching for, so not a hypothetical) so they will still have to rely on someone else to press them. Perhaps if there were better technology this wouldn't be an issue.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Okay so the issue is less ADA-compliance than finding a bidet seat for a person who does not have the use of their hands. Actually, a very good use of such a seat. Voice-control, if available from a vendor, would be the perfect solution. Absent that, would very large buttons, spaced far apart, do it? Or maybe one "run cycle 1" button? I would call Inax's US customer service line and talk it out with them. Same with Toto. They may have something special that would work.

Reach4

Reaction score
I could imagine somebody building a device that pushes a rod against the important button(s) of a wireless remote. Only 1 or two buttons may be enough. The rod could have some kind of spring coupling or a stop that limits the amount of force/deflection so if the actuation were foot-operated, a kick would not damage the remote.

Choices like oscillating or pulsating could be preset and not adjusted during use.
0.jpg

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I have to think that in the decades since Toto and Inax launched bidet seats in Japan, someone has discussed with them the significant benefits of such a seat for someone who does not have use of their hands. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have an existing solution or experimental routine available for exactly this situation. I would call their customer service in the US, and if they don't immediately have a "yes", ask them to run it up the flagpole back to Japan.

Someone somewhere at one or both of those companies has looked into this.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Okay, so a quick check shows that lots of people have considered the situation where one doesn't have the use of hands. Biobidet explains in their own marketing brochure that their 1000 remote control can be placed on the floor and operated with the toes for someone that doesn't have the use of their hands. I will keep looking for a more elegant solution, but you can see that manufacturers consider folks with that disability to be an important market.

sarah Stacey1

Reaction score
Excellent, thank you so much for the suggestions! She has limited use of her legs as well. I think a voice activated bidet would be a great invention and someone would make a killing off that. Will look up the suggestions, but we might have to go with a seat with a remote so someone else can operate it while standing away. This is why the seats aren't ADA compliant. The handicapped person can't operate it without assistance. Voice activated one would be tho!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks