Sump Pump Questions. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

TL

Reaction score
Hello again!

I'll try to brief. . .

I have a Zoeller Basement Sentry Series (Model 507) 12V Battery Backup sump pump. It was in the house when I bought it. . .so it's at least 11 years old. I'll admit, it was neglected until it started malfunctioning :rolleyes:. The past few years, it needed a little "shake" or bump every once in a while to get things pumping when I noticed it wasn't kicking on when needed. Cleaning the gunk out periodically solved this. More recently, it completely crapped out. The battery reached the end of its productive life and won't take a charge. It overflowed a few times. At this point, the sump is filled to the top with water. My guess is that the primary pump is dead. My questions are. . .

1. The backup pump is DC only right? In other words, even if the (dead) battery is hooked up to the AC charger, it still wouldn't work since it's DC, right??

Since this thing lasted 11+ years, I am planning on buying another system if needed. They don't come with batteries, so my plan was to buy another battery and see if the backup pump is functional. If so, I can evacuate the water and then see what's going on in there. I know there are only a few battery manufacturers in the US, but. . .

2. Is there any reason the battery needs to be the "Zoeller" Aquanot battery replacement? (Size 27 AGM 175 minute reserve P/N 10-1450? And if not, what do you recommend that might be less expensive, meet the specs, and fit in the battery case?

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can probably buy any AGM battery in that size from anywhere you want. AGM batteries do cost more than more conventional ones, but hold their charge better than standard lead-acid batteries. An AGM battery will be less likely to be damaged by a deep discharge than a conventional lead-acid one, which is why they spec'ed that type. FWIW, my car came with an AGM type battery (a huge one!) and from what I hear, costs in the order of $350-400 to replace. Haven't had to do that yet.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
The first thing I would do is repair or replace the primary pump then work on the backup system.

TL

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

My impatience got the best of me, so I went to a store that no one should ever shop at for so many reasons (Walmart), and I bought a cheapie battery with the same specs for less than $100. My hunch was correct. . .the backup pump works. So it looks like I'll just need to replace the primary pump. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get to it until it dries up around here and I can get the rest of the water out of the bottom half of the sump. It's filled back up and evacuated 3 times since I hooked it up. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks