The impossible "Y" connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott Seto

Reaction score
I live in an old apartment complex and share a common shower drain with my neighbor. Both our showers are stuck, but the sink and toilet is OK, so we figured the block is past the "Y" connection, but before everything else.

Gentlemen, I am college educated and work in the sheet metal trade. Bought a 1/4" snake with a coil head...should take maybe 5...10 minutes tops... It has been 2 weeks, liquid plumber, drain "balloon", hydro-shocking and buckets of sweat later and I still can't make that D@MN 90 degree turn, let alone, clear the block for more then a few days. WHAT IS YOUR SECRET?! HOW DO YOU MAKE THAT METAL MONSTER TURN?! I know you guys must keep it a secret like that special union brothers secret "handshake" ...am i right?!

Please, can you help a guy out? My girlfriend doesn't even believe me when I show her a "Y" fitting and explain to her how this was all a big conspiracy meant to bring down the world.

Thanks!

Stinky in Hawaii

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you said you tried a BrassCraft Drain Bladder ("balloon"). That might have forced water into your neighbor's shower. I wonder what would happen if you put one in each of the two drains at the same time.

Scott Seto

Reaction score
What type of snake are you using?
Here is a link to several different types:
http://www.hardwarestore.com/cobra-manufacturing.aspx
I used a hand cranked 1/4" snake that sported a pistol grip that resembled a fat gun. I could feel my way to the "Y", and even after slightly curving the coil end, while slowly cranking I could feel it spring right past the turn and straight towards my neighbors drain.

Scott Seto

Reaction score
I think you said you tried a BrassCraft Drain Bladder ("balloon"). That might have forced water into your neighbor's shower. I wonder what would happen if you put one in each of the two drains at the same time.
My neighbor forgot to use the cork plug I made to stop his drain. Assuming he blocked his side when he left for work I later started using that drain bladder rigged to my shower head. I thought 20 minutes shouldn't be to long?!...eventually the clog would give right?! ....well, 19 minutes later I forgot about it until the maintenance guy starts banging on both our doors. I must say the little "river" flowing out from under my neighbors door look pretty cool! Nuf said...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is NO WAY a snake can go the wrong way through a Y, so you either are mistaken or you have some other type of connection, possibly a sanitary cross it a vertical line. IF so they can be almost impossible to snake. I assume the neighbor has submitted a huge damage claim to you for the flood.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks