Laundry Room smells bad

Users who are viewing this thread

Karthur

Reaction score
It has a sewage gas-esque odor. I also took a whiff of this odor in the bathroom after a heavy rain storm, but the smell subsided the day after, so it might not be exclusive to the laundry room. All the pipes in the house are connected to a septic tank. I am concerned about the lack of a P-trap in the laundry room set up. Shouldn't there be a P-trap connected to the main drain pipe where the washing machine hose goes inside? Are P-traps always necessary in laundry room set ups? Keep in mind, the water drains outside into the grass. The same person who's responsible for this job also installed the plumbing under my kitchen sink. I think it looks a little suspect( He used a flexible tailpiece rather than a rigid one and the P-trap seems a little too close to the tailpiece). So what do you think?

Attachments

• Laundry Room Plumbing Pic 1.jpg
    Laundry Room Plumbing Pic 1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 206
  • Laundry Room Plumbing Pic 2.jpg
    Laundry Room Plumbing Pic 2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 188
  • Kitchen Sink Plumbing.jpg
    Kitchen Sink Plumbing.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Your third sentence and sixth sentence seem to contradict each other.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, there should be a vented P trap. Most place prohibit draining gray water (washing machine) directly on the ground. Could be the water puddles around the drain and that could be the source of the odor. I can't tell if the kitchen drain has a vent in the wall, but that mickey mouse flex connector pipe is potential trouble.

Karthur

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, there should be a vented P trap. Most place prohibit draining gray water (washing machine) directly on the ground. Could be the water puddles around the drain and that could be the source of the odor. I can't tell if the kitchen drain has a vent in the wall, but that mickey mouse flex connector pipe is potential trouble.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks