Replace or use existing flange?

Users who are viewing this thread

MattD

Reaction score
Hello folks, new member here. I've read a lot on this forum searching for an answer to my question but I wanted to post some pictures to make sure I do it right.

I tiled a bathroom and overlooked thinking about the toilet flange at all. First timer...

So I'm wondering if the metal flange around the PVC will work or if I should replace it or put in an extender? The pipe is 3in, and the tile is about a half inch above the metal flange. I've also read about using two wax rings, is a half inch a small enough difference that I could get by with two rings? More than anything I'm just hoping I haven't made any huge mistakes...

Anyway, here is what I'm looking at:

flange 1.jpg
flange 2.jpg

I appreciate the help and look forward to using this forum in the future.

Cheers!

Reach4

Reaction score
It looks like you have the remnants of a flange in that bottom picture. What is the ID of that inner hole, and what is the ID of the white pipe that the inner pipe is?

MattD

Reaction score
I did measure the inside hole and it is 3 in. I'm not at home right now so I can't measure the outside, but I'd guess it's 4 in. I can get an accurate measurement later.

Reach4

Reaction score
To be clearer, I am referring to the area where I have drawn the red and green circles.

Do you have a more accurate measurement method available? A 3 inch schedule 40 PVC pipe is 3.5 inches OD and about 3.042 inches ID. If the inner hole is under 3 inches, that would imply that something has been glued inside, and I suspect that might be the remnant of a flange. If you have the full 3.042 inches ID available, there are easier options.

Attachments

• pix_4.png
    pix_4.png
    110.2 KB · Views: 281

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Maybe a Harvey's #10 extra thick wax seal will be good enough. Maybe. You could always add a flange extension, though. Or go with two regular sized wax gaskets, one with the poly flange and one without. It depends on how far down from the top of the tile it is. Your pictures would seem to indicate about 1/4".

Reach4

Reaction score
If it fits, I was thinking a 1/2 inch spacer topped with a Sioux Chief closet flange 888-PM. That flange has a longer tail that will extend down farther than most. But if the remaining hole is under 3 inches, that inner part would have to be removed first. It can be done, but not so easily by a DIY.

MattD

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'll try and take more exact measurements when I get home tonight.

MattD

Reaction score
To be clearer, I am referring to the area where I have drawn the red and green circles.

Do you have a more accurate measurement method available? A 3 inch schedule 40 PVC pipe is 3.5 inches OD and about 3.042 inches ID. If the inner hole is under 3 inches, that would imply that something has been glued inside, and I suspect that might be the remnant of a flange. If you have the full 3.042 inches ID available, there are easier options.

I measured the diameter of the inside pipe as best I could with an everyday tape measure it is just under 3". Not by much but definitely under.

Maybe a Harvey's #10 extra thick wax seal will be good enough. Maybe. You could always add a flange extension, though. Or go with two regular sized wax gaskets, one with the poly flange and one without. It depends on how far down from the top of the tile it is. Your pictures would seem to indicate about 1/4".

The top of the tile is a little under a 1/2" from the top of the existing metal flange.

MattD

Reaction score
Could I just remove the metal flange and stack two "raise-a-rings"? I think that would make it level with the new floor.

Reach4

Reaction score
Could I just remove the metal flange and stack two "raise-a-rings"?

I thought that your second picture showed that you had already removed the metal ring that shows in your second picture. No?

If you are asking if you put a 1/2 inch spacer over the plastic that is in place, seal as needed, and then screw your existing stainless ring through the spacers into the floor, with no new closet flange plastic, I don't know.

Last edited:

MattD

Reaction score
I thought that your second picture showed that you had already removed the metal ring that shows in your second picture. No?

Yes I took it off for the picture. It was only screwed into the subfloor a couple times, it wasn't connected to the drain at all. I could just screw it back in place if necessary.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF what you have left there is a typical flange with a metal ring, they make split repair rings that are designed to fit into the notch around the pvc part, and when you close it up and screw it down, it holds it tight to the rest of the flange. While the ideal place for the flange is on top of the finished floor, once you get that tight, I'd probably use stack a couple of wax rings. Terry likes to use one with a horn for the top of the stack, and a plain wax ring for the bottom one. The horn helps to keep the lower one centered, and since you have the depth, the plastic horn won't cause problems like it can when the flange is higher.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks