Water heater leaking around themostat. American Standard e62-50h. (Photo attached)

Users who are viewing this thread

Jackie1

Reaction score
Hey guys, maybe you can help. Woke up to no hot water. Checked my hot water heater which is an American Standard e62-50h. It's kinda wet around the bottom thermostat. I took both metal plates off the unit as there are two thermostats, one at the top, one at the bottom. The top one looks fine, but is wet around it, and the bottom one the wires all all corroded. Maybe it's leaking down from the top? Anyway, I turned braker off/on, then hit reset button on the tank and now have hot water again but see my photo please.

Need some advice. This unit is about 9 years old maybe. Only being used by one person in the house.

Attachments

• unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 3,240

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Electric water heater thermostats do NOT "leak". If the leak is from the element, it may be fixable by installing a new one, but if the tank itself is leaking, then you need a new water heater. The other "variable" is that if the element has been leaking long enough it could be "rusted" into the heater and cannot be changed.

Last edited:

Jackie1

Reaction score
Thank you. I guess I need to have my plumber come check on it. I don't know much about them. I can tell you the insulation is wet on under both metal plates...

Also, if he says he can replace the element, I was told to get stainless and they are much better. For a tank that's 9 years old, is it worth fixing if it's only the element bad?

And if tank is leaking and can't be fixed, is there a favorite electric water heater that is a good one?

Jackie1

Reaction score
UPDATE:

Ok, thanks So, my electrician came over to check it out and said the top element is leaking. He said you might as well replace both top and bottom with SS ones. That isn't expensive, or I can get a whole new unit for around $300+250 install. Decisions...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A typical WH tends to last from 7-10 years. Electric ones last longer, and some have been known to last over 20-years. If there was corrosion, it may not be limited to just around that penetration where the element goes in...it could be attacking the rest of the tank. I'd probably consider replacing the whole thing, but a new set of elements isn't going to break the bank, and could last a very long time. It's a gamble.

Is the WH where it could cause damage if it did develop a leak? If so, that might sway me.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have never heard of an electrican diagnosing a leaking element, or making a recommendation about it. $250-300 install? IS the the installation PLUS the heater? Or the heater plus installation, because it cannot be an "installed price".

Jackie1

Reaction score
No, it's not in a place to hurt anything, it's in an unfinished basement, and it's a slow leak from the top element. It's electric water heater, 50 gallon Amercian Standard. I may just replace elements and check that rod to see how bad it is???

The price of $250 was just the install. I was going to buy the unit myself from Home depo. Is that fair?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depends somewhat on whether the guy is removing and disposing the old one. Note, at least with many plumbers...when they don't supply the unit...they do not warrant the unit. IF the one you buy happens to be bad, if THEY supplied it, they will replace it. If YOU supply it, YOU pay to remove and install it again. Sometimes, their price ends up the same or less than what you can buy it for.

Jackie1

Reaction score
In my original pic, you can see how the metal piece that the element screws into is all rusted. I can't seem to find out where to buy that piece? I would assume Id' want to replace it?

It looks similiar to this:

Water_Heater_Electric345-DJFs.jpg

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
if you have water in the heater you are probably going to need to get a new heater ...

in your original picture you can plainly see where the water has made a rust stain on the outside of the heater
this usually means that the unit has been leaking for a good while..

just save yourself some time and replace it

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
The heater is leaking from the element, and it made the metal plate behind the element rust.

Ok that is great...
now you have to hope that when you replace the element that the
threads dont have a corroded spot in them that will allow
the water to leach out through the threads ..... again....

might i suggest that you use a lot of pipe dope and maybe some teflon tape on the
element threads and you might get lucky

good luck with your adventure

Jackie1

Reaction score
Everything worked out. Got two new elements, the double folded back kind. All good.

Now, this piece on the lower element is rusted in half and there is a ground wire on it.

Where can I get this piece??? It's not even shown on the parts diagram for my water heater:

sears-wh-part.jpg

I think this piece is used to help keep the thermostat against the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks