Toilet Flange Cement Floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeremyks

Reaction score
Im finishing my basement myself. The contractor did all the rough in plumbing. Im wanting to stain the concrete floor in my bathroom and not install any type of floor covering. My problem is that the toilet flange sticks up from the floor and there is about a fingers width gap between the flange and concrete. Any idea how to solve this problem? Is there a different flange that would get me closer to the floor?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The socket of the closet flange should be 1.5"
When it's glued, it will bottom out. Without glue, you can push it down all the way.

Jeremyks

Reaction score
On this flange there is shoulder or taper that I don't believe will allow it to ever sit flush with the floor?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Slide it off, measure the height of the pipe stub, measure the depth of the hub in the flange. That will tell you how close to the floor level it will go. It WILL slide all the way into the hub once you add cement. Almost impossible prior to that. IT is designed that way - the cement melts the surface, and helps fill in and makes the seal. ALso, keep in mind that the flange is designed to go on top of the finished floor, and if you're installing something like tile, or even vinyl that would want the flange a bit higher (maybe even higher than it sits without cement!).

You can set it tight to the floor, but depending on what's going on the floor (if anything!) to finish the space up, it may not be optimum. Millions of them attached directly to the slab or subflooring, but when you have a chance, put it where it is designed to go. Often, they don't want to call the plumber back after the finish flooring is done, so it gets installed direct...works.

Jeremyks

Reaction score
My elbow measures 3.5 ID. Can anybody point me the right part number for the Sioux Chief that has the totally flat bottom?
Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

Jeremyks

Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you mean to put the ring you linked to over the flange that you have in your picture, or instead of it and just put the ring over the elbow? Neither of those would be a good idea.

You might want to lift the flange, set it upside down next to the hole, and take a picture of those.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A 3.5" diameter is the ID of a 3" hub...sounds like you either want a flange that will fit inside that hub, or use a short stub of pipe, and use that to connect the hub and the flange together.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks