10" rough-in requires special flange?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr Blint

Reaction score
In our powder-room, we have a 1950s-era American Standard two-piece toilet and an untiled wall behind it, which we want to tile. But the rear edge of the toilet's tank lid actually touches the wall behind it. It's a 12" rough-in.

I thought it would be possible to find a toilet with a 10" rough-in and mount it on the existing flange, in order to create more space behind the toilet, for the extra thickness of the tile.

But then I saw an article on another site warning that 10" rough-ins require special flanges. I don't understand.
Could someone please explain?

P.S. It is a tiny powder-room and the front-end of the toilet now comes to the edge of the door opening, and the waste pipe is cast-iron.

=================================
T
A TOILET-------------) .......................... LAV
N
K
================ .......door ..........=====

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
No. There may be some such toilet, but normally they just need a regular flange.

There is probably a better way to get some more space. Some 12 inch rough in toilets give more space.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A 50's era toilet uses most of the 12"
Modern 12" toilets may get by with anywhere between 10-7/8" and 11-1/2"
I would pick up a new 12" and check to spec sheet to see if it fits. I would not use a 10"
Most manufacturers have an optional 10" bowl.
TOTO also has some models that convert from 10", 12" and 14"
They also have a 10" bowl in their lineup, as does American Standard.
But for you, go with the current crop of 12's.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Measure from the toilet flange mounting bolts to the wall behind (not the baseboard - the wall). THat is what you need to compare the spec sheet to see how well it will fit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks